Chapter 2: The First Step Towards Her Freedom

I gaze down at his body in the coffin. His baby blue eyes are now closed, no longer holding the fear and pain that haunts my nightmares. His soft brown hair is in beautiful curls that frame his fair-skinned face. His small body is dressed in a suit with a purple tie. I insisted that it be purple because it is-was his favorite color. The blood was cleaned completely from his body, revealing a long claw mark that decorates his left cheek. His hand was readjusted so that it no longer looks broken. Both of his hands lay clasped on his chest. He looks as though he's peacefully sleeping.

I know better. A tear slides down the bridge of my nose and lands on his cheek. I wipe it away quickly.

The funeral hall fills quickly. I remain rooted in my spot next to the coffin memorizing his features.

Soon it's time for me to speak. My throat already thick with emotion. I stare at all of the familiar faces, they're all here for Nick. They're here because they love Nick. I feel myself start to crumble but before I can sway my wolf takes over my body, "Thank you all for coming. Nick had a way of crawling into people's hearts and leaving his impact on them. Nicholas Justin Leon was taken from this world far too soon," She takes a deep breath before continuing through our tears, "Nick was a pure soul. He knew that there was evil in the world, but he believed that forgiving was the greatest good to ever exist. I don't feel the same way. I knew the Alpha wrongfully punished my brother resulting in his death and my parents agreed with him. They supported him. For this, they have received what they deserve. I have held Alpha Raoul's dead heart in my hand. It knew no mercy, no forgiveness. It only knew punishment. Alpha Raoul deserved a brutal death, much worse than the one I gave him. He is the reason Nicholas is dead, pure, sweet, loving Nicholas. Nicholas loved with his whole heart. I know that many of you have been on the receiving end of his love and that love feels like heaven itself. Nicholas' death has opened our eyes. We deserve better than this treatment. We all deserve the love and respect that Nicholas had for everyone. We deserve freedom. The dictator is dead. He will never punish another innocent child again. No more lives will end because of the arrogant, cruel Alpha Raoul of the Vengeful Oak Pack. May Nicholas' spirit rest in peace knowing that this pack is now free," I feel my knees give out underneath me as my wolf releases my body back to me.

Andre rushes over to me and carries me away. A few others speak, my head spins unable to catch their words. Andre helps me walk to where the coffin is being lowered into the ground. I watch as they close the lid, sealing in the body of my little brother who was mercilessly killed.

We each grab a handful of dirt and pour it over the coffin while reciting a prayer to the Moon Goddess asking her to bring his spirit peace, to care for him in the afterlife.

I stand there, staring at his tombstone.

Nicholas Justin Leon

June 27th, 2005 - January 9th, 2017

The kindest and most loving spirit to walk the Earth

I kneel next to the freshly packed dirt, "Nick, I...I'm sorry I wasn't able to save you. I should've tried harder. I should've fought the Alpha when he put me in the chains. I know he led the rouges to you. I know he planned your death as an example to the pack. Nick, I promise you that I made him suffer. I made sure he felt the pain you did. The pack thinks that his death was quick, with me simply yanking out his heart. They were wrong, I tortured him the way he's tortured this pack for years. I held his heart while it was in his chest still beating as I looked him in his fear filled eyes and told him that he is one of the biggest evils to walk the Earth."

I let out a shaky breath, "Nick. I'm so sorry. I should've been there to protect you. If I had just been a little bit stronger, a little bit smarter, you would've still been alive," a breeze rustles my hair as a hand is laid on my shoulder.