Part Five

I had gone home soon after that. Claire had pointed out that I may need time to process things and, I guess I did.

The heir to Morgana. Even thinking it made me shudder. I had been told that my eyes had been exactly the same as hers but, because of the armour she had worn, they had never seen the rest of her. If I was the heir, did that mean I had some of her powers? Could I somehow unlock some ability to do magic like she had one done?

Even so, I wasn't sure why I was the heir if many generations have passed since her birth. It may have been because of her recent fall, perhaps triggering something in me. It might have been that I was chosen earlier even, as a young child, and raised solely to be the heir. The thought terrified me. If this was all that I was destined for, how would I stop it? It scared me, how school went on as normal when a looming threat was rising. Instead of training relentlessly, I would have Spanish homework. I didn't go back to Trollmarket, and the days continued. School was difficult, and West refused to talk to me. When I had tried to catch up with him on the walk to school, he ignored me.

It was Friday, and I couldn't have been happier. I would have the weekend off. I made a mental note to tell Claire that I was coming to Trollmarket. I wanted to train.

I turned to my partner, a tall, dark-haired girl named Freya, and muttered the same sentence we had been asking each other and learning about all of class. I had noticed Freya make immediate friends with Claire, as did most of the class.

"¿De donde eres?" I asked her, and she gave me a bored look.

"Alemania," she answered, saying Germany.

When I had asked Claire if she wanted to be partners, she had rolled her eyes and told me no. Unlike West, I wasn't sure what I did to Claire for her to dislike me. She had seemed perfectly nice before Trollmarket, but now? Not so much. As you weren't allowed to speak English in the classroom, a stupid rule, I had to ask her in Spanish.

"¿Le hice algo a Claire?" I asked, seeing if I had done anything to Claire.

Freya sent me a funny look, whispering quietly. "I shouldn't really be telling you this, but she said you kind of stole her boyfriend. Of course, I didn't believe this. West and you are dating- or were dating and-"

I interrupted her confused, "West and I are not dating and I would never steal her boyfriend!"

A booming voice sounded from the front of the classroom. "Señoras, hay algo que te gustaría compartir?" He had asked us if there was something we would like to share.

"No," I replied, looking down to his my embarrassed blush, "los siento, señor."

"Don't let it happen again."

Inside, I was fuming. Stealing her boyfriend? How could she spread those rumours about me? I knew she felt my anger. Blinky had told me that, after her staff had been destroyed, she had been taught magic, including a way of feeling strong emotions from other people. Her staff, the Shadow Staff had allowed her to create portals to and from places she had an emotional attach to. I finished Spanish in an angry mood, and I was glad Spanish was the last lesson of the day. We went over a few more phrases before the bell finally rang. I stood up straight away, earning a glare from the Señor Sãnchez. I would never be on his good side. He said a dismissal in Spanish, the class replying in the usual response before we were allowed to leave. I had heard Claire wouldn't be going home, Trollmarket today, so I had made it my mission to. I gathered my things, and, walking to the gate, I noticed Claire walking in the opposite direction. Good.

I began the familiar path to the forest, actually enjoying the quiet. In the day, the woods weren't just bright. It was alive. Creatures were moving, birds fluttering up. A mouse paused for a second to stare at me before it continued its scurrying. Constant flamed leaves were falling from the Autumn trees, and even the plants seemed to thrive. Walking through the forest, I cleared my mind of all but one thing. My dad. I didn't want to think about him, but I hadn't spoken to him since Monday. I was afraid to. I knew I had to do something with it, but I couldn't bring myself to. I continued along the path, jumping shortly over the stream, and eventually finding the familiar clearing that hid the trapdoor. I stomped my foot down three times, and it opened slowly. I swung inside, not hesitating as I did last time, and landed easily. This time, instead of Blinky being there to greet me, there was nobody. I followed the same hallway, entering the long and circular room. Various trolls were running about, and I followed the steps to the crystal room, finding Jim searching the bookshelves.