Part Seventeen

"Changed your mind, have you then?"

I hated the way my mother took it so lightly. I hated the way she acted as if this wasn't going against everything I stood for. I hated the way she thought that she had won. I frowned, crossing my arms over my chest. Irene was sitting on the porch, reading a random magazine, when she found me walking back. It was Saturday, and what happened the day before continued to spin through my mind.

"Nothing has changed," I reminded her sharply, tightening my jacket around me and staring her dead in the eye, "I just- I need to know more."

She smirked as if I was already in the palm of her hand. I didn't let my face reveal anything, narrowing my eyes at her casual demeanor. I didn't want to admit it to anyone, but it felt as if my mind was already made up. The Eternal Night. I knew of the consequences. I knew that there wouldn't be sunlight. And yet, the benefits sang louder in my mind. The trolls would be free to walk among the humans. Both species, in harmony and together. Blinky and Jim couldn't see the benefits, but I knew as soon as it was completed they would appreciate me. They wouldn't leave me.

And yet, my mind kept coming back to West. What would he do in the situation? Would he grab my hand and tell me that I was being crazy? Would stand by my side and go with whatever I thought was right? Or would he agree with me, and see where I was coming from? I almost didn't want to think about it. Even the thought of him not accepting me for a choice made me upset

Irene barked a laugh, standing up and flourishing her hands. "What more is there to learn? You, my dear, are the key to uniting all! We'll contact Morgana, and she can give you the spell. And, as much as the old hag refuses to admit, you're more powerful. We only need the words, and she becomes useless. You, as the heir, will be the new divine subject! You will be feared, worshipped by all!"

I blinked in shock, stumbling a step back. "But- what if I can't? I haven't practiced my magic in a long time. I- Mum, what if I can't do this?"

"Oh honey, I've missed you calling me that," she smiled, walking up to my side, "You are the heir. You can do anything with the magic you've been blessed with. I believe in you. We can train, together baby. We can do this."

She opened her arms for a hug, but I hesitated for a moment, ignoring the way she stared, almost hungrily at me. "Will you... Will you leave me again?"

"Never again, baby. Never again."

- - - -

"I can't believe her!" Jim cried, waving his hands as he complained desperately to Blinky. "She's being blinded by the fact that her mum's back!"

Blinky sighed, not meeting Jim's eye. He sunk lower into his chair and ran a hand over his head. "Master Jim, it seems Miss Caster may follow the wrong path. I hoped it wouldn't be true, but.."

"But she has!"

Jim signed in exasperation, sitting next to his old friend on the stone couch. They hadn't even seen Romera leave this morning, but he wasn't exactly surprised. He should have known her mother wouldn't have had the right intentions. Still, he had naively hoped that the girl he loved wouldn't have fallen for it.

"I just-" Jim said, choking back a cry and frowning, "I really don't want her to get hurt, Blinky. They're getting into her head, changing the way she thinks. I-I just-"

"There's still hope, we need to find her," Blinky assured him, rising up from the seat. "I'd assume she's at her house, but it may take a series of trial and error to find her- Master Jim, I-"

But he had already stood and began making his way out. Jim knew the sun would be setting any moment now, so he waited impatiently, tapping his foot up and down in the common room. Tobes was in there, sleeping and snoring softly. However, he woke with a start when Jim stormed in.

"Ah- Jimbo!" he exclaimed, sitting up and pulling off his blanket. "What-what are you doing?"

Jim growled, folding his arms, "Romera. She left this morning. It's as if she has already made up her mind to finish what Morgana started."

Toby stood, frowning. "You don't mean..."

He nodded, running a hand through his dark hair. "The Eternal Night."

"She's got to be joking- This can't be what she really wants-" Toby reasoned, though it seemed as if he was only trying to reassure himself. "No. She has to have some sort of plan."

"You didn't see the way she looked at me last night, Tobes. She looked like she had already given in, as if there's no other option."

Jim's best friend placed a hand on the Trollhunter's shoulder, giving a soft look. "There has to be a way, has to be something else we can do."

"There isn't, Toby. It's game over."

- - - -

"She issss training, my Queen. Becoming ssstronger. Everything isss going according to our plansss."

"Good. And the Trollhunter?"

"He will be taken care of, my Queen, all in due time. He will sssurrender when the time comesss."

"Will the mother be a problem, child?"

"Ssshe iss but a pawn in our game. There iss only one problem, my Queen. Sshe's fighting doubt insside of her, her friend refusing to leave her mind."

"I will see to it. The Eternal Night is not far away, my children. We will have victory!"

- - - -

"With every choice, every decision whether or not to wake up in the morning, we keep fighting. Whether the battle is against another, or ourselves, we don't stop. We fight. It doesn't matter if getting up in the morning means you have to face someone or something you hate. We fight."

"I'm not going to let you lose her, Master Jim. We will get her back, I promise you."

Sobbing into his hands, Jim tried to feel comforted by Blinky's words. Usually, it would be enough. But this was Romera. Never before had he felt a love this strong for the girl that loved him, that didn't mind that he was a troll. The girl that accepted him, that cared for him like no other. Romera. They had searched for hours, the results turning up useless. She wasn't at her old home, or her real home. Home, with Jim.

"We couldn't find her!" He shouted, standing up and pushing his old friend back. "They've gotten to her! There's no fighting, no bargaining that we can do to save her!"

Blinky stopped, his usual demeanor faltering. "Master Jim, I was just trying-"

"Trying will get us nowhere! She's gone!" Jim cried, his voice breaking angrily. "She's gone."

Blinky reached out to comfort the boy, but pulled back as Jim took another step back. He shook his head slowly, muttering something under his breath repeatedly. He swallowed, and, without another glance at his friend and mentor, sprinted out of the room.

Words: 1245
So, shorter chapter than usual, and one of the last ones. Things are getting pretty intense, huh? Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Thanks for all the votes and reads. Until next time, xx