Part Nine

For a moment, I went blank from the shock. Had Jim really just done what I thought he had? This would bring terrible repercussions, not to mention the onslaught of questions Westley would have for me that Jim wouldn't have to answer. Just thinking about it made me want to hit my head repeatedly in frustration

The first thing my mind registered was West screaming. It was a high-pitched, annoying sound, but I couldn't exactly blame him for it. Seeing a blue creature, double the size of yourself isn't exactly a very nice experience for anyone. Jim was glaring sharply at West, who was still screaming, and I staggered back. Before I could say anything, West grabbed my arm and tugged me towards him.

"I knew it wasn't a bear who attacked you!" West cried.

I wasn't sure how to respond. West was looking expectantly at me, as if I was supposed to scream and run for the hills. As if I was to comfort him and tell him I was as clueless as him. But I couldn't. I couldn't tell him that and lie to his face like I had been for so long. Jim was staring at me too. I wanted to ask what he had been thinking, or even just to have comfort from what I knew what would be to come. I took a step away from West, and he looked at me with a mixture of confusion and hurt. I couldn't blame him.

"Look just-" I stammered, "I can explain!"

"You can explain?" West frowned. "What do you mean 'you can explain'? It's not like you knew about this creature- this monster. You are the victim here!"

"He is not a monster!" I hissed on impulse, and West shrunk back in shock. I knew how I reacted was a little harsh, but I owed Jim enough to defend him from a bad-mouthing friend.

Westley's shocked gaze turned hard, and he folded his arms with a harsh, antagonising look to me. "Then tell me, Ro, what is he?"

I took a deep breath, my mind reeling for something to tell him. If I told West everything, then he and his whole family could be put in danger. Mia, only a few weeks old, would be put in danger. But if I didn't tell him, West would never forgive me.

"He's a troll," I told him flatly, knowing he wouldn't believe me, "and I'm the heir of an evil sorceress that wants me to bring an eternal night so all the bad trolls can run about and take over the world. Oh, and I have magic."

As I predicted, West gave a frustrated snort, before rolling his eyes sarcastically. "Yeah, and I'm Merlin."

I closed my eyes, exhaling slowly. "Actually, Mr. Calendonensis is."

I was too afraid to see his reaction, but I knew he would be angry. It was what West did to bring a rational conclusion to something, or to hide the fact that there wasn't. I didn't like this side of him and had only seen him this angry when I confessed to him that my dad would hit me occasionally. West had sprung up so quickly and had demanded that we talk to an officer, or even just to confront my dad. I don't think I could have refused faster. But this time, it was different. I was the one he was angry at, not my dad.

I snuck a glance up to see West with a bewildered expression, and he took a step forward when I met his eyes. He grabbed my arm, tough and harsh, and pulled me in the opposite direction of Jim.

"I don't know what this cosplaying freak has been feeding you, but I won't let it stand." I whimpered, and the grip tightened. "Do you hear me? I won't."

He bent his face next to mine. "I said, got it?" I could feel his hot breath on me, my heart racing.

"I-I'm sorry!" I cried, cold, salty tears flowing down my cheeks silently as I tried to pull out of his grasp.

"It was all your fault, all your fault!" He growled, and tears, in his eyes too, formed as he hit down hard. "She's dead because of you!"