Part Eight

"Magic. How in the world am I supposed to unlock my magic?" I hit my head with my hand repeatedly, trying to bring an idea forward.

Jim sent me a look, grabbing my hand. "I don't know, some weird phycological trigger?"

"Possibly," Merlin inputted, and we turned to him. "I was born with mine and brought up in the environment where magic was constantly used. Because you were raised as a normal girl, it may take a series of trials to unlock what has been subdued."

We were in the training hall, Merlin, Jim and I, the day after. I wasn't looking forward to Monday and the week coming, where school would take up the majority of my time, even when a literal war is beginning to start. This wasn't even considering what would happen when I saw West again. I knew he would have a million questions for me, to which I was definitely dreading. 

Jim was still ecstatic at his clothes, and I had happily listened to him rant about it last night. Better yet, the original pale blue of the amulet and of the armour had returned, replacing the glowing red that came when Jim had been turned into a troll. Not even Merlin knew why the amulet had changed colour after his transformation, but I was glad it was back to the blue. Jim had brought me into a tight embrace and, armour long gone, we had stayed like that for a while, comforting the other. We didn't need words.

I wrung my hands together, looking around. "So, is there like, any magic words I should know? Or start with? Because I'm actually clueless."

"Well, I suppose starting with Trollish magic, brought upon with chanting, would be too advanced, as would enchanting in Latin." Merlin pondered this for a moment. "Perhaps the manipulation of objects is a good place to start? It may be too difficult, but I believe you could do it."

I nodded, but I was still uncertain.  I still wasn't convinced that I would be able to do the magic. Wouldn't I have seen some kind of sign growing up? Things flying off, going astray? And, even if I could do the magic, what would be the extent? Even with my reluctance, I was excited. Magic!

Merlin made his hands glow with his green magic, and I watched as the essence curled around Jim, before he was lifted gently off of the ground. Jim let out a surprised gasp before Merlin dropped him to the ground. I giggled as Jim glared at Merlin, rubbing his back. He wanted me to do that?

I laughed nervously. "Uh, that might be wishful thinking. Maybe a rock would be better to try with?"

Merlin nodded, and I looked to him for instruction. "It is simple, though the first time might prove difficult. Close your eyes, Miss Caster, and imagine the rock being moved. But not just the rock, imagine gravity bending at your will. After time and practice, you won't have to use as much strength."

I nodded, hiding a gulp. It sounded easy enough, but until a week ago I didn't even know of the creatures living in our world just below the surface. How would I be ready for this?

Doing as he said, I shut my eyes. For a moment, I stood awkwardly, before continuing. In my head, I imagined the stone. Curved, yet jagged, dark orange in colour. Heart pumping, I willed it to move. My hands moved on their own accord, something in me waking up and taking control. My eyes snapped open and I found myself not being able to control my body at all. A dark blue essence wove itself around the rock, lifting it upwards.

Muttering unintelligible words softly, I waved my hands in a circular pattern and watched in awe as the rock was split apart into thousands of miniature pieces. The parts spun around in a fast, circular motion and a harsh wind picked up around us. I caught a glimpse of what I looked like in Jim's wide eyes. My dark hair had fallen out and was rising around me, my body floating off the ground now. But my eyes were what terrified me the most. The usual bright green was covered entirely by a dark blue, matching the dark blue aura that encircled me.