Part Twelve

It was strange, waking up. My body had flung itself upwards, and I let out a gasp at the sudden life in my limbs. My heart was pumping, my blood flowing through my body is a sudden rush of euphoria. My eyes flew to the room around me and winced at the sudden light, taking in the details in a way that almost seemed inhuman.

There was a thin layer of dust over a filing cabinet across from me, and the plants on top of the cabinet had recently been watered with a slight drop of water onto the soil. An ant was crawling above my head to a crack in the wall, and down the hall I could hear distinct chatting. I was in a hospital room.

My mind spun. What had happened? Why was I suddenly able to see and hear these things that were impossible to do so before? However, anyone, human or not, would be able to hear the heart-monitor beeping wildly. Shortly after, the door opened quickly and a professional-looking doctor walked in. She was tall and lanky, with dark auburn hair clipped back and bright blue eyes. She reminded me of someone, but I couldn't quite remember just who. I looked down at her badge, and noticed her name. Doctor Lake. Could this be Jim's mother? But would what she be doing in Baniar, and out of Arcadia? When Jim had talked about her, he had spoke with such warmth in his voice that it astounded me.

"Ah, I'm glad to see you're awake, Romera," she told me in a kind voice, and I nodded stiffly. "How are you feeling? Headache? Stomachache? Your leg feeling fine?"

My leg. I ripped over the covers to glance down at the wound, which I knew would disgust me. If I hadn't been a fast healer, I would be dead. The stabbing in my leg would be enough to kill a normal person, but I had been stabbed and bruised multiple times. My leg, however, only held a large scar from the top of my shin to the bottom. I flinched away at the sight, hastily pulling the covers back over it so I wouldn't have to see the scar.

"You are a remarkable healer," Doctor Lake commented as she looked through a clipboard at the end of the bed I was laying on, before laughing softly. "In fact, if I hadn't of seen the powers of the group I know my son hangs out with, I would have considered this a miracle that you're alive at all."

"You're Jim's mother?" I guessed, my voice coming out hoarse and sore, and she nodded and handed me a drink of water. "I expected you to be more, uh, troll-like. And what are you doing in Baniar?"

The doctor laughed again before her face grew somber. "No, my son was changed into a troll, so it didn't have any effect on me. And I'm here because I have had the most years of experience, and you came in looking dead already."

I turned to look at the window, trying to catch my reflection of what I looked like now. I caught the faint image of a bony girl, whose eyes looked lifeless and whose skin was pale. I hardly recognised myself.

"West," I said softly, finding it harder to speak with each word.

The doctor's eyes softened, and a look of pity came over her features. She gently put down the clipboard, and came up to the side of the bed.

"The police found his body. His family have been notified. You have been in the hospital unconcious for three days, Romera."

I nodded stiffly. Dr. Lake put her hand over mine comfortingly and spoke in a soft voice.

"The police want to come and question you, Romera. They are outside. Is that okay? You can wait, if you're not ready to talk," she said, with a questioning look as I nodded slowly.

"How much you tell them regarding," she paused for a moment, "the supernatural, is up to you."

She gave me one last comforting smile, before she left. A moment later, Sheriff Grey walked into the room, uniform and all. He had his own notepad in his hand, and his forward was wrinkled in a slight frown.