Chapter 6

No excuse, my scheduling is terrible.

I up and abandoned this book essentially and for that I'm sorry.

I intend to fix that.

Enjoy the chapter.

---

I blinked as I followed Adam through the castle quietly, taking in a much better look at my surroundings.

The walls were mostly a dark grey and made up of large blocks of stone, broken up by the occasional gold block which shone in the rays of gold of the rising sun through the various windows. Guards dressed in iron armor and yellow uniforms passed us occasionally on their patrols and sometimes gave me odd looks, not that I blamed them, I was dressed rather strangely to them in my robes. The guards also seemed to give nods and the occasional "Sir" when Adam looked at them, something I thought was worth asking about.

After all, when my friends and I formed the Sky Kingdom, we did agree Sky was to be king, and I knew his wife had been with child before he died.

"Pardon my asking, but are you the king of this land?" I asked as politely as I could.

Adam turned to me and made a face "Technically, but I prefer to rule the kingdom alongside my generals, I get a better range of opinions and ideas that way."

I nodded slowly "I see. How long have you been ruling for?"

"Not long, only about 2 years now."

"Oh..." I nodded "Well, the kingdom seems to be in good order... aside from those squids."

Adam scoffed "Yeah, they're mostly nuisances unless you get caught surrounded, I hear they were once a good kingdom, but I highly doubt it with how stupid they are half the time." He muttered.

Adam continued to show me about the castle and where everything was, describing how the kingdom operated and its resources. I wasn't about to tell him I knew most of these halls from so long ago. It was too soon to bring that up.

Soon the corridor opened up to a large stone courtyard filled with people; children, couples, families, all making camp while soldiers provided aid to those who really needed it.

"What's all this?" I asked Adam with a small frown of concern, causing the leader to look at everyone sadly as the two of us walked through.

"Refugees from the mob attacks. I imagine you've seen the damage they've been causing to the outer villagers of all kingdoms."

"Not really.'

Adam glanced at me confused "Really? You haven't?"

"Well... I mean I've heard they've grown more violent, but I didn't think they were causing this much damage." It was true, I wasn't aware of how little control Noah had over the Overworld's mobs. I hoped Noah was ok.

Adam turned back as we kept walking "It's not safe to spread our armies too thin protecting everyone, so we opened the castle to anyone who needed the protection or simply had lost their homes to the mobs."

"Are all the kingdoms dealing with this?"

Adam nodded grimly "Unfortunately, but we're doing what we can for everyone, and that's what matters."

He soon stopped walking as we were approaching a small corner of the courtyard where a woman around the same age as Adam was telling stories to some children. When the woman noticed us, she smiled and said to the children she'd be right back before coming over to us.

"Hey, is this the one who saved Ty?" she asked Adam as once she was close enough, Adam moved some strands of her fiery red hair out of the way and kissed her cheek.