37 | S E C R E T S

and there's an old man
sitting on the throne that's saying
that I probably shouldn't be
             so mean.

   "I want answers", Ember said, her face livid, as she entered Dumbledore's office. It was three days after the night of the third task, and Ember had just left the hospital wing. Harry had to stay for another night or two, and Ember just agreed with Madame Pomfrey that her brother needed a full eternity of rest and silence.

   Ember on the other hand didn't want silence, she wanted an explosion. Straight out of the hospital wing she had made her way to Dumbledore's office, and now he was looking at her over his cupped fingers, slowly nodding.

   "I would have wondered if you wouldn't", he said in a calm voice that brought Ember's blood dangerously close to the boiling point.

   The last days had been just a cluster of nightmares; Cedric's death, Fudge's outburst, the pain, the grief, and a constantly growing rage in her guts that needed to be discharged. Now.

   "You saw the signs! You knew about the Dark Mark on Snape and Karkaroff's arms! You had the prophecy of Pettigrew's return to Voldemort!", Ember seethed. "You didn't do anything!"

   "That's not what you're here for", Dumbledore replied in a casual voice.

   "No", Ember plainly replied. "But I just needed to point out that this is your fault. Cedric's death and - and Harry almost - It is your fault!"

   "I am aware of that. Please go on."

   "What is wrong with me?", Ember whispered, voice cracking under the weight of her words. "Mr. Crouch had talked about a curse. Down by the forest he'd said it. And I feel it ... I feel ..."

   "Hate", Dumbledore ended her sentence. "Wrath." Ember blinked at him. "It's not a curse in common sense."

   "What is it then?", Ember asked, crossing her arms.

   Dumbledore got up from his chair, starting to pace up and down in front of his wall like a restless old lion. "Unfortunately Mr. Crouch wouldn't be able to inform us about this anymore", he then said. "And I lack of detailed information to give you a satisfying answer."

   "So try an unsatisfying then." Impatiently, Ember's foot tapped against the floor.

   "What I need", Dumbledore said, "is more information. It isn't a wise time to spread guesses, Ember." He stopped in his pacing, looking straightly at her. "You will not return to Privet Drive this summer."

   "What? But where do we go then?", Ember asked, all excited to not have to deal with the Dursleys for those three upcoming month.

   But her delight wasn't long lasting, as Dumbledore shook his head, saying, "No, not Harry. You."

   "You can't do that!", Ember sappend, and she was on her feet without remembering she'd given her body the order to raise. "You can't! I won't go anywhere without Harry! I won't leave him alone, not after - after all that happened!"

   "I can guarantee for Harry's safety at Privet Drive", said the old wizard, "but not for yours. Neither can I guarantee for both when you're together in this place. You won't be separated for long, this I promise you. But it is necessary that, at least for a few weeks, Harry has to stay with your aunt and uncle."

   "You fear I could be a danger for him." It wasn't a question. "You think I could harm him with this - with this - curse or whatever it is."

   He did not reply, and that was answer enough for Ember. Her nails dug in the flesh of her palms, as she tried to fight the urge to raise her wand against the old headmaster. She knew she wouldn't stand a chance, Dumbledore was too mighty, too strong. But that didn't give him the right to do whatever he pleased! It didn't give him the right to take her brother away from her ...

   "I wouldn't do this, if it wasn't necessary", he finally said. "We need to figure out how you can control this new force in you. We need to find out where it comes from." He paused, then said, "You cannot tell Harry where you will send the summer. You will tell him that it's Molly you have to stay with. Put the blame on me, it is my order."

   "Well, the blame is on you", she scoffed, rolling her eyes.

   "You can't write him. This is important. Don't contact him."

   "But —"

   "You want Harry safe?"

   Ember nodded.

   "Then trust me."

   Scanning the headmaster's face, Ember lightly tilted her head, then sighed. "Fine. Can I write my friends?"

   "As long as you choose your words carefully. But where you go, you actually won't need to write anyone."

   That almost sounded like a threat, and Ember cocked an eyebrow. "So where will I go?", she asked, pursing her lips. She had thought about staying with the Weasleys, or maybe here at Hogwarts, but Dumbledore's words didn't sound like that.

   Dumbledore on the other hand didn't look at her. His eyes were fixed on an empty frame on the wall, which would usually contain one of the former headmasters of Hogwarts. Seconds passed, finally Dumbledore's mouth opened.

   "Number Twelve Grimmauld Place", he said in a clear voice. "The headquarter of the Order of the Phoenix."

· end of act one ·

· end of act one ·

—