24 | F A T E

maybe I'm a fucking waste
filling up the empty space.

   OF ALL THE scenarios that could have happened, Ember hadn't thought of a single one

   OF ALL THE scenarios that could have happened, Ember hadn't thought of a single one. And appearing out of a black cloud right now, she couldn't catch a thought of anything at all.

   Remus dead. Tonks dead. Fred ...

   She couldn't end that thought. Nor did she want to think about who else might have lost his life during the battle. And who might would lose it before the night's end.

   With blurry vision, she released her breath; her body was trembling, and it took her a second to realise where she was.

   Dust was covering an old wooden floor; long, deep scratches decorated the walls; the windows were nailed shut with boards, and the furniture looked like something had ripped big pieces out of them with razor sharp teeth. In the midst of this chaos, wearing his usual long black coat, stood Severus Snape, looking at her in sheer shock.

   "Say, Miss Potter, have you lost that last remaining bit of your mind?", he hissed, his pale face slowly turning from shock to anger.

   "You've something I need", she replied, her voice cracking under the weight of the loss she'd just witnessed. "Draco told me. He said there's another one. Another what?"

   "Listen", Snape snarled, "and listen closely." He reached into his robe, but what he took out, he kept into his fist. "This could be the key ... Changing anything we know."

   "What — ?"

   "It's close. The Dark Lord soon will enter the battlefield, there's not much time left for your brother to finish whatever Dumbledore had ordered him. This", he said, rising his fist, "could change anything or nothing at all. You know about your brother's prophecy?"

   "Dumbledore's got you involved in this?", Ember replied, narrowing her eyes. Of course the old headmaster had. He had trusted Snape. It had been his downfall, and Ember wouldn't make the same mistake. "Why would I trust you? You murdered him."

   "Well, so far you don't have a choice", her former teacher replied. "I'll give this to you, it's up to you if you use it, but you might for once want to use your brain for something useful."

   "What is it?"

   He opened his fist, and Ember blinked in surprise. It was two years ago she had last seen one of those, and now Malfoy's words made sense. It hadn't been in the ministry when they got destroyed.

   A small ball of glass, a white fog whirling in its inside; a prophecy.

   "Is it — is it about me?", Ember said, slowly stepping closer.

   "Well combined." He let it slide into her now outstretched hand. "The Dark Lord's on his way. Leave. And tell your brother to come and find me as soon as possible."