18 | B L A C K

and I was in the darkness,
so the darkness I became.

   YOU CAN'T DO this! You can't! Get yourself together!

   "Heavy stuff on your mind?", she could hear Hermione whisper to her right, and it snapped her back into reality.

   Oh, nothing, nothing. Just have been fallen for my overprotective brother's best friend, who's still dating Lav-Lav, and even if he wouldn't, I'd be nothing more to him than his best mate's sister ...

   "Oh well, sorry, I — I was thinking about Susan", Ember muttered, while the tiny Professor Flitwick came along, his eyes fixed on Harry and Ron.

   "Now, now, boys", squeaked Professor Flitwick reproachfully. "A little less talk, a little more action ... Let me see you try ..." 

   Together Harry and Ron raised their wands, concentrating with all their might, and pointed them at their flasks. Ember caught Ron's eyes for a second and blushed. Harry's vinegar turned to ice; Rons flask exploded.

   "Yes ... for homework", said Professor Flitwick, reemerging from under the table and pulling shards of glass out of the top of his hat, "practice." 

   "Seems like his breakup has him all messed up", Hermione snorted, and Ember, who'd turned around to pack her books back into her bag, almost wrenched her neck as she snapped around.

   "Who's breakup?"

   "You really haven't listened to a single word we spoke, did you?", Hermione sighed, looking with eyes full of pity at the Hufflepuff. Of course she thought that Ember was full of grief for her friend's mother, while actually she was busy to figure out a way to rip her heart out and shake it until those inappropriate feelings for Ron would fall right out of it and splatter on the ground —

   "Lav-Lav has ditched Ron last night, after she saw him leaving the dormitory with me —"

   "You were in the dorm with Ron?!"

   "Yes ...", Hermione slowly replied, cocking an eyebrow. "And with Harry, right before Harry left to go to Hagrid. Under his invisibility cloak. So Lavender thought it was just me and Ron and she screamed at him for about half an hour."

   "Oh — Oh that's really sad", Ember said in a sigh, but could hardly keep the corners of her mouth straight.

   Stop it! Still he's your brother's best friend, and you're a ticking bomb of shadows and darkness!

   "Are you grinning?" A second of unawareness had Ember's lips curved into a smirk, and Hermione looked at the raven haired girl curious.

   "Uhm, I didn't really like Lavender", she hastily explained. "It's good for Ron he got rid of her. She's awfully annoying, don't you think?"