17 | S H E L L C O T T A G E

this will all blow over in time.

   THE UPCOMING HOURS at Shell Cottage felt like glue

   THE UPCOMING HOURS at Shell Cottage felt like glue. The day passed slowly, and even slower passed the night. Ember failed to find anything to distract her running thoughts. Mostly they were circling around Ron's words, trying hard to figure out what gave him the impression that she, Ember, had feelings for someone else than him.

   But the more she allowed her thoughts to wander, the clearer got the fact that it indeed had been foreseeable that in the end it would be Hermione. It was like a slow building lovestory all along the way. But who was hers?

   This night she couldn't sleep, Ember spent on that very same spot she had been sitting with Harry not so long ago, listening to all those well hidden secrets he finally dared to uncover, and while she kept on staring into the starry night, worries and fears crept up beneath her shivering skin.

   She returned to the kitchen in the early morning hours. The lights were still out, it was quiet and peaceful, and so his voice almost gave her a heart attack.

   "Can't find any sleep, Emmie?", Remus said, leaned against the counter and staring at the sea, where the sun slowly began to rise.

   "What are you doing here?", Ember sharply asked, her mind racing.

   "I arrived late in the evening yesterday, having to inform Bill what's going on recently", Remus replied, smiling at her. "He agreed that I might stay a little bit longer to have a talk with you as well. We thought you were asleep."

   "Oh." Ember sunk in one of the chairs nearby the kitchen table. "No, I had been outside. Had to think about some stuff that's keeping me awake anyway. So I thought I could as well overthink with a view."

   "I see", he chugged and sat down as well. "You know I still feel the urge to tell you that running away and looking for Peter was —"

   "I know, I know", Ember muttered, running her fingers through her raven black hair. "Something snapped. I thought — I didn't want to be completely useless. I didn't want to be a burden."

   "You never were." He shifted in his seat, placing his elbows onto the table plate and leaned forward. "Have you found what you've been looking for?"

   Ember sighed, then shook her head. "No. Nothing at all." Her eyes fixated Remus' face. "Did you know he did an Unbreakable Vow?"

   Remus forehead wrinkled, but slowly he nodded. "It was Sirius, who talked your parents into that. He did the same for Harry." He made a pause. "Nobody could be fully trusted back then, not even you closest friends. Peter proved that."

   "But still they made him their secret keeper ..."

   "Because sometimes you just had to trust someone."