27 | J O U R N E Y

I'll always remember you the same.
eyes like wild flowers.

   SHE OPENED HER eyes, finding herself lying on the floor, but couldn't see a thing

   SHE OPENED HER eyes, finding herself lying on the floor, but couldn't see a thing. Wherever she was, it was pitch black, not even the tiniest spark of light was seen.

   Ember sat up, feeling surprisingly light weighted. All her pain was gone, and carefully she touched her nose. It was no longer broken.

   "Hello?", she whispered into the darkness around her, but her voice got trailed away. Standing up was a strange thing to do, when you weren't aware of the ground. It felt solid at least, and she dared to move a feet. Then the other.

   With no idea where to go, Ember let her feet do the work, while her eyes tried to find anything, so as it appeared, she immediately noticed it: a tiny white point right in front of her, growing taller and brighter the closer she got. Soon she started running.

   The white light started blinding her, but she didn't stop. Even though her eyes hurt, there was something soothing in this shining brightness, something comforting, like seeing an island in the middle of the stormy sea, and suddenly she found herself being surrounded by it, warmness caressing her skin, until the blackness had vanished, and there was nothing left but light.

   "Ah, right on cue."

   Ember flinched, twirling around to face the owner of a voice she hadn't heard in a long while.

   Albus Dumbledore was smiling down at her, his bright blue eyes twinkling behind half-moon shaped glasses. But her attention wasn't granted him for longer than a blink. It was the person next to him her eyes found on an instant, and he was already staring back at her.

   "What have you done?", Harry whispered, looking devastated.

   "What I had to", she replied, smiling sadly. "What have you thought sacrificing yourself to him, Harry?"

   "I had to", he said, and both the twins turned towards the old headmaster with questioning looks.

   "Harry", Dumbledore spoke to Ember, "was a Horcrux. It had to be destroyed like the other ones to finally defeat Voldemort."

   "But Ember wasn't", Harry chimed in, before Ember could even let that information settle. "She didn't have to die!" He turned to face her. "What on earth have you thought?! You couldn't really have believed that he would let me go!"

   "No, I didn't." Ember shook her head. "But it was necessary for me to die before you. Even though I hoped for it to result in something different."  She again looked at Dumbledore. "Why didn't it work?"

   Dumbledore's smile grew even wider. "Oh, but it did. The battle isn't over. But you, my brave girl, defined the end."

   Ember's hazel eyes widened, as it dawned on her. "He can go back?" And Dumbledore nodded. "Can I go back?"