20 | C O L O R B L I N D

I'm meaner than my demons.

   AS THE ASTRONOMY Tower filled with Death Eaters, Ember knew that Draco had failed

   AS THE ASTRONOMY Tower filled with Death Eaters, Ember knew that Draco had failed. She saw the trembling of his hands, the shaking of his lips, and knew it was over. Someone else would do his job, and he would be all forsaken in the mercy of the Dark Lord.

   "Now, Draco, quickly!", said a brutal-faced man angrily.

   But Malfoy's hand was shaking so badly that he could barely aim.

   "I'll do it", snarled Greyback, moving towards Dumbledore with his hands outstretched, his teeth bared.

   "No!", shouted Ember and before she knew what she was doing, there was a flash of light and the werewolf was blasted out of the way; he hit the ramparts and staggered, looking furious. "It is Draco's task."

   "Haven't you a task yourself, Potter?", Greyback growled, coming so close to Ember she could smell his fouly breath. "Where's your brother."

   Ember didn't even blink. "He'll show the second Dumbledore hits the ground."

   "Draco, do it", screeched the woman, Alecto Carrow, but at that precise moment the door to the ramparts burst open once more and there stood Snape, his wand clutched in his hand as his black eyes swept the scene, from Dumbledore slumped against the wall, to the four Death Eaters, including the enraged werewolf, and Malfoy.

   "We've got a problem, Snape", said the lumpy Amycus, whose eyes and wand were fixed alike upon Dumbledore, "the boy doesn't seem able -"

   But somebody else had spoken Snape's name, quite softly.

   "Severus ..."

   For the first time, Dumbledore was pleading.

   Snape said nothing, but walked forwards and pushed Malfoy roughly out of the way. The three Death Eaters fell back without a word. Even the werewolf seemed cowed.

   Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face.

   "Severus ... please ..."

   Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore. The headmaster's eyes, to her surprise, found Ember's, and he opened his mouth like in slow motion, as he spoke, "Find the one who's done this to you. Find him and you'll understand. You'll be saved."

   "Avada Kedavra!"

·

   Pinned against the lawn, Ember looked up at Harry with a manic grin upon her face. Her wand was several feet away from her; Harry had managed to disarm her.

   "Will you finish me off now, loveliest brother of mine?", she cooed. "You almost did it last time, just have another try then."

   "This isn't you!", Harry cried over the noisy crackling of the fire in Hagrid's hut right behind them. "This isn't you, Emmie!"