~Chapter 4~

"Do you want to try and go back to class, Star?" The nurse sighed, knowing that she would refuse.

Star thought about having to sit behind Marco and Jackie while they laughed and ignored her existence and shook her head frantically.

"Fine, I'll let you stay here until you can go home, but don't expect me to be this lenient every time this happens," the nurse knew that she would be back some time soon, she was always having small accidents, she usually just brushed them off as Star being clumsy.

***

As soon as Star got home she checked in the mirror, the bump on her forehead had gone down slightly and was less noticeable. A huge purple bruise was on her knee from when she hit the ground. Slumping onto her bed, she sighed loudly, she was sick of going to school everyday. It was always the same old thing, her days were getting more and more boring and painful and she didn't know how much more of this his heart could take.

Star looked over to the small bedside table next to her bed, it had a picture of her mum and dad holding her as baby. That was the time when they were happy. When she was happy. Since her dad cheated on her mum everything went bad, they broke up, her dad moved out and she didn't know where he was. And half the time she didn't know where her mother was. She heard the front door open and then the sound of footsteps.

Star headed to the door, hoping that her mum would be home, she didn't talk to her a lot, but having someone in the house made her feel a tiny bit less lonely.

"Mum?" Star called down the stairs as she rushed down them.

But her mum wasn't the only person there, a man was with her, Star tilted her head to the side, she hadn't seen her mum in weeks and now she was with a man? He was an older-looking guy, his face looked naturally grumpy and his hair was beginning to turn grey starting from the front.

"S-Sta-r," her mother's words were slurred, she was drunk. She collapsed onto the sofa and passed out almost straight away.

Star rushed over to be by her side and kneeled next to where she was lying, the person she was with just watched as she grabbed onto her mothers hand out of desperation.

"Talk to me, please, I haven't seen you in so long..." Star felt her eyes welling up, she didn't think she would ever care for her mother as much as she did in this moment. In fact, she hated her, but didn't wish for anything bad to happen.

"Are you just going to stand there?!" Star turned her head to look at the stranger in her house.

He looked around in confusion, "who even are you?"

Star choked on her breath out of shock, "are you stupid?" She was starting to lose her temper, first he shows up in her house and then doesn't even bother to help her, "I'm her daughter you idiot." Star let go of her mother and stood up.

"She never told me she had a daughter, she said she lived alone," he stepped a little closer to where Star was standing and held out his arms as if he was defending himself.

Star felt her stomach flip at his words, it was like her mother didn't even acknowledge her existence anymore. They never saw eachother but Star didn't think she could just forget about her like that, it made her rethink her opinion about her mother, "just get out, please."

"Why? I thought you wanted my help..." He took another step closer to her.

Star stood her ground and folded her arms angrily, she refused to let this intruder boss her around in her own house, "because you're not helping, also there's no point of you being here now my mums passed out, you can come back once she's awake, besides, I'm not comfortable with your presence."

"Theres nothing to be afraid of, here," he brushed a piece of her hair away from her face.

Star gulped, "please, get out."

"Its strange, I wouldn't have expected your mother to produce something like... you," he touched her face with his thumb, his skin was rough against hers and she moved her face away from his reach.

"What are you saying?"

"Well, you're so pretty and you're mother is... average," he took a few steps closer to her.

Star saw his fast paced steps and darted towards her kitchen. He reached out grabbed her wrist, squeezing it tightly. Star pulled at his fingers with her free hand and attempted to free herself. After her initial plan failed, she acted fast and pulled his hand towards her mouth and bit down on it as hard as she could. He hissed in pain and she suddenly felt a fullness in her mouth, followed by a horrible metallic taste. Once he let go of her hand, she ran to her kitchen, the man following behind her, he was angrier now. Star spat out the blood onto the kitchen floor, some of it dripped down her chin and onto her dress.

"You bitch!" He yelled after her, holding the injury on his hand.

Star pressed her back against the cabinets in the kitchen, her fingers running over the metal knobs in a panic trying to open one of them. The intruder got closer and slapped her across the face, a smile forming on his face when her nose started to bleed. Instinctively, Star's hand moved to wipe the blood from her nose and he pushed her body further into the counters, the handles digging into her back. That would definitely leave a mark. Star flung her knee into his groin and he moved back and doubled-over in pain. She took this time to yank out one of the drawers and pull out a sharp kitchen knife. Holding it with her right hand, she ran forward and pushed it straight through his stomach. As soon as it was all the way in, she tugged it straight back out. Blood sprawled out of his stomach and all over the floor as he collapsed. Star flicked her hair out of her face and looked down on him, a scowl evident on her face.

"You deserved that," she spat down onto his body.

Star took a moment to calm her nerves and figure out what she was going to do next, she looked over at her mum on the sofa, she was still passed out cold. Star shook her head in disappointment. Sheepishly, she approached her mother, taking the bottle of alcohol out of her hand and replacing it with the bloodied knife, she wiped some of the blood from it and rubbed it across her mothers cheek.

Once she had finished with her mother, she went into her bedroom and changed into some fresh clean clothes, putting the messy ones in a black plastic bag. She packed some clothes into her school bag and grabbed her phone, her house keys, -she'd definitely need them later- and a matchstick. She walked outside and went to the nearest field. Throwing the black plastic bag on the ground, she lit the match stick and tossed it into the grass, everything immediately set on fire, it was spreading surprisingly fast, but at least it would get rid of any evidence of her being here.

Star adjusted her backpack on her back and pulled out her phone, dialling the numbers 999, it rang for a few seconds before someone picked up.

"999 here, what's your emergency?"

"I'd like to report a murder."