chapter two

betty

I woke up, with the same smile I feel asleep with still on my face, and a text on my phone.

arch <3 : walk to school together?

b <3 : of course, see you in 10

I brush my hair and put on my usual outfit. A sweater from my closet, and a pair of skinny jeans. I pull my hair up into my tight ponytail. Then, there's a knock on my door. I walk downstairs and grab my bag from the kitchen, then open my door. There he is. The boy I've been waiting for all my life, with the most adorable smirk I've ever seen.

"Ready to go?" He asks

"Of course." I reply, stepping out my door.

We walk down the street for a while, hands by our sides. After a few minutes, he touches mine as a signal to hold hands. I grab his hand and lace our fingers together. Everything about this is perfect. I can't believe that after so many years of waiting, this is finally happening.

We arrive at school, and he pecks me on the lips before waking off to the student lounge. I walk to get my English book from my locker for first period, and I notice everyone staring at me.

"B, was that a kiss I just saw between you and Archie?" Veronica asks, walking up to me.

"It might have been..," I reply, "that's okay, right?"

"Of course B! I know how long you've been waiting for this, and it's not like we exclusively dated anyways. Plus, I have Nicky now." She tells me.

I'm relived. I wouldn't want to loose my best friend over a boy, even if it was Archie. We walk towards the student lounge and Jughead walks past, shooting me a dirty look.

"What the hell Jughead?" Veronica asks, angrily.

"Leave it alone, V," I exclaim, "not even Jughead can ruin my mood today."

We walk into the student lounge and Archie's at the vending machine, getting some candy. I sit down on the couch. Archie walks over and hands me some skittles, then sits next to me. We talk for a while, and then he heads off to meet with a classmate for a project. Kevin walks into the lounge, stopping in his tracks.

"Betty, you're glowing, what happened?" He asks.

"Oh, Archie invited me over to his house last night and we made out in his room, nothing major." I reply smirking.

"Betty that's amazing! How long have you been waiting for this."

"Forever, Kev"

"Was it as magical as you imagined?" He asked.

"Even better!"

Just then the bell rings for 1st period. I'm late. How can I be late on the second day? I'm dead. I walk into the classroom and sit down next to Jughead. I forgot about this seating arrangement. Everyone in the school knows we hate each other, I can feel eyes on me. Did everyone see my kiss with Archie?

"You know he's going to leave you right. I give it a week." Jughead scoffs.

"Shut up, Jones. You're just mad you couldn't get me." I say, jokingly.

"That would be my worst nightmare." He replies.

"It would be your biggest dream."

The day passes fast, and before I know it it's my free period. Jughead and I are the only ones in the student lounge. Everyone's working on the english project we don't have since we're in AP classes. There's an awkward silence in the room.

"Why do you hate me?" I ask. I honestly can't remember.

"You're kidding, right?" He answers. "You don't remember?"

"It's been years, Jughead, I don't.." I reply, confused.

"We were supposed to meet at Pop's, and nobody showed up. Then on my way home I saw you three at the drive-in." He says.

The memory floods back to me. Earlier that day Veronica told me Jughead was mad at us and didn't want to see us today. Then she invited us to the drive-in. It felt wrong, but I trusted my best friend.

"Jug, that day Veronica told me you were mad at us, I never knew.. I'm so sorry Jughead I never realized." I say, apologetically.

"You think after all these years you can just apologize to me?" He scoffs.

"I didn't know I did anything wrong, I thought you just never forgave me for whatever I did." I defend myself.

"I'll consider forgiving you, just give me time." He replies.

He gets up and leaves the room with a frown on his face. Archie walks in and sits next to me, kissing me.

"What's up with him?" Archie asks.

"Remember the day we all went to the drive-in instead of Pop's when we were like 12?" I ask him.

"Yeah that's the reason Jughead was mad at us." He answers.

"Well I never knew that, Veronica always told me he was mad at us that day." I reply.

"So that's why you guys have hated each other all these years." He thinks out loud.

"Yeah.. Why aren't you in class?" I ask.

"I got bored."

"Arch you can't just skip on the second day of school." I chuckle.

"I can if it means I can do this."

He leans in and kisses me. I kiss back, worrying someone will see us. But as we kiss more and more, I start to care less and less. All I want is to stay in this moment forever. Then, the bell rings.

"Come over later." I tell him, as we walk out of the lounge, hand in hand.

"What about your mom?" He asks.

"She doesn't have to know." I say, winking at him and walking into class.

jughead

I know I said I'd never forgive her, but after seeing her last night, I feel like I need to protect her. I know Archie, he's my best friend. As much as I hate, well hated, Betty, she deserves better than that.

I decide to go over to Archie's, to ask him about it. As I'm walking to his house, I see him climbing up a latter to Betty's window. There's that feeling again. Jealousy. I don't understand why I feel like this. I've known Betty forever and I decide just now, when she gets with Archie, to be jealous. What's wrong with me?

I start to walk home, saddened, yet enraged, at what I saw. I guess I'll have to wait to talk to Archie until tomorrow.

and with that, the sad boy goes home, as his best friend sneaks into the girl next door's window