chapter nine

betty

"What?" Veronica asks frantically. Sure we've all had our problems with Cheryl but we can be good friends at times.

"Last night at your party, she was talking about getting closure with her father or some bull like that." I tell her.

"We need to go to the hospital." She says, "I'll be at your house in 10."

"Actually, uh, I'm at Jughead's trailer.." I start.

"Ok well you're gonna tell me all about that tonight, but I'll be at Jughead's trailer in 5 minutes."

...

Andre, Veronica's driver, pulls up to the trailer exactly 5 minutes later. Jughead and I climb in the backseat to be greeted by Veronica. We laugh at old memories as we make our way to Riverdale general.

Andre pulls up, and we rush out of the car to the front desk.

"Hello, is there a young girl by the name of Cheryl blossom here?" Jughead says.

"Are any of you family?" The young nurse asks.

"I'm her cousin." I chime in. It still weirds me out sometimes.

"I'm sorry, but we can't disclose any information if you all aren't immediate family of her." The nurse tells us.

"So that means she's here?" Veronica questions.

"I can't-" The nurse starts.

"God damnit," Jughead slams his fists on the desk, "stop talking to us like we're children, she's our friend, lady!"

"I can neither confirm or deny she's here, but I can tell you one thing."

"And that is..?" I inquire.

"She will be okay."

A weight is lifted off my shoulders. Jughead and Veronica let out a sign of relief.

"Well if she were here... when would we be able to visit her." I inquire.

"Three days." She nurse states.

"Thank you so much." We all say, and head out the door to Andre who's waiting in the parking lot.

In 10 minutes, we're walking in to Pop's and sitting down at a booth. We all order shakes, and I lean in to Jughead as he puts his arm around me. We sit at Pop's for hours, laughing until we cry, ignoring the tragedies of Riverdale that surrounded us.

...

jughead

Today is the day we can finally see Cheryl. Betty hasn't been doing so well the past few days. I've been with her most of the time to comfort her, though. Right now it's 9 am and visitation hours start at 10. I get dressed and ride my bike to Betty's house. Alice answers the door when I knock and tells me Betty's upstairs.

"Hey, Betts." I say sitting down on her bed.

"Hey, Juggie." She leans in and gives me a kiss. Every kiss feels like our first to me.