Chapter 4

Really?" Eliza asked when Cecily said she needed a bath; it wasn't like she smelt bad. Eliza hovers in her bathroom, the cold tiles freezing her feet. The wrought iron tub has been brought up and gradually filled with hot water. After much arguing and insisting, Eliza sits in the bath and plays with the bubble on the surface. The warmth of the water feels nice against her skin and relaxes every muscle and joint in her body. Cecily waddles in with a box of potions and vials, Eliza tries to cover her nakedness from the maid but Cecily waves her away.

"I've looked after you for a while, plus I have seen everything, there is no need for embarrassment," she says as she rummages through the box, pulling out different bottles and putting them back. Still feeling a little uncomfortable Eliza tries to relax back into the bath but to no avail, as her maid begins pouring strange coloured liquids into her bathwater.

"What are they for?" Eliza asks nervously, wary of the unknown liquids, though she is mesmerised by the swirling colours and the different odours they create.

"Don't you worry, they will make you smell like heaven and your skin will be soft as a newborn babes bum!" Cecily says with a happy smile, "Now lean back and I'll do your hair."

"My hair?" Eliza sits up and splashes water over the edges. What was wrong with her hair?

"Yes, yes." Cecily picks up a red vial and gives it a sniff, Eliza remains frozen not trusting what is about to happen.

"Oh relax I am going to make it soft and smell nice," reassures Cecily as she places the rest of the mixtures on the floor. Slowly Eliza leans back and allows Cecily to take out the haphazard bun from this morning, her inky hair flows down around her shoulders. Water pours from a bucket and drenches her head, Cecily then pours the entire contents on the red vial on Eliza's hair, she massages the mass until it is completely covered in the strange stuff. Another bucket of water is poured over and the soap created is washed down into the bath, after two more buckets Eliza's hair is clear of soap and shines like the sun.

"Here." Cecily hands Eliza a bar of pink soap, "Scrub yourself with this." Eliza accepts the soap and begins to lather her entire body. Once Cecily approves Eliza has washed herself thoroughly enough Eliza stands up and water drips off her body.

Stepping out of the bath Eliza becomes wrapped in a towel gown, her hair, dripping down the back. Using the gown, she proceeds to dry her body, that stuff worked, her skin felt really soft.

"Lean forward." Cecily directs as she approaches with a fluffy towel. Eliza complies and her hair is flipped forward, splashing the tiles and Cecily. Advancing with the towel Cecily smothers Eliza's hair and rubs hard. After a few minutes of uncomfortable standing for Eliza her hair is no longer wet but a bit damp.

Standing up Eliza follows Cecily through to the room dedicated to all her clothes. The room is directly next to the bathroom, it houses several pine wardrobes, floor-length mirrors and vanity with countless beauty products and fragrances. One thing Benjamin always provides for his niece is clothes and makeup, anything to try and present Eliza in a more positive light. Eliza does have a wardrobe in her bedroom but that only handles day wear.

Eliza pads in and places herself on the poof, her back to the vanity. Cecily goes to the wardrobe that contains all of Eliza's evening dresses. Unfortunately, there is a total of 6 evening dresses in the wardrobe, all of them previously worn and unfashionable. Chewing her lip Cecily turns around and shakes her head, Eliza's heart sinks, how is she going to make an impression with an old dress?

"It's alright, I'll just wear the pink one," she says downheartedly.

"I have an idea, you might not be that fond of it but..." Cecily looks nervous as she removes a key from her bosom and moves to the biggest wardrobe, the key clicks in the lock and opens, she sticks her head in trying to find the dress in mind. Eliza cranes her neck trying to see what her maid is doing. Since when is there a locked wardrobe?