Chapter 47

Unfortunately, when Eliza enters the dining room with Lady Trinity, Mrs Hill and Mrs King the first thing they notice is Mirabelle sitting very smugly next to Jasper with a young handsome gentleman on her other side. He does look appealing however his eyes are unnerving as they take in everything they see including Eliza. All the gentleman stand as they enter, Mr King walks over to his wife and escorts her to a seat next to him, two other men followed by Jasper do the same with Lady Trinity and Mrs Hill leaving four unaccompanied men standing respectfully. Jasper takes Eliza's hand and walks her around to the head of the table, his thumb runs over her wedding ring spreading warmth up her hand.

"Are you alright?" He whispers in her ear as she sits down with him to the left. She nods at him once with a small smile, Mirabelle watches her with a scowl though her face falls neutral as she catches Eliza's eye. Once everyone has taken their seat Jasper stands up with a wine glass from in front of his place.

"I would like to thank you all for coming. It is wonderful to see you all again." He raises his glass at everyone seated, "I hope you have a good evening and that we make this gathering a regular occurrence"

They clap as he sits down. The butlers walk in with silver dishes, they place them in front of each guest, they are lifted to reveal the starter. Everyone picks up their cutlery and begin to eat the food.

"So Jasper, how long are you planning on staying?" One of the single men asks.

"I am having the house down in Chester remodelled, once it is finished we will be returning," Jasper replies.

"Oh we do love London, don't we hun?" Mirabelle remarks to her companion. All eyes fall on him.

"Yes." He states bluntly, he takes a sip of wine. Not pleased with his answer she turns to Jasper and bats her eyelids.

"You must show me around London this summer."

Jasper pauses, fork halfway to his mouth, he looks at her openly eager face, "I am sure Eliza would love to have you visit."

Eliza chokes on her lamb but quickly clears her throat. "Indeed, you may even find a new husband, I am sure the ton will love to have a fresh unmatched face."

Mrs King and Lady Trinity both let out a snort quiet enough for only Eliza to hear.

"How delightful," Mirabelle says through gritted teeth. Eliza smiles at her. Mr King turns the conversation to business and Eliza swims in and out of listening to what they say.

"I must say my profits are skyrocketing this year." Mr Hill boasts knocking back more wine. "It's a good year."

"I agree." Mr King nods. "I am hoping to invest more this year."

"My father's company always has a good year." Mirabelle's companion says boastfully, "A constant line of success."

"Oh yes." Mirabelle jumps on his statement. "Oliver is quickly becoming one of the most powerful men in London, Freighton Company is a critical part of England's financial business."

"I have heard that your father has great influence with the French Royal family." Lord Percy, Lady Trinity's husband says, Oliver glares at him momentarily but his face returns to its unpleasant leer.

"I am to take over the company so it will become my greatness soon." He says, casting smug looks around at his audience.

Mirabelle hits his arm teasingly, "What is it you always say?"

Oliver puffs his chest out impressively, "Some are born great, other's achieve greatness." He smirks at the table. "I happen to think I fall into both."