Chapter 30

Jasper's head jerks up violently as the sound of knocking on Ryddan Manor's front door echos through the house. Benjamin and Helen also look up, Eliza has been missing for over 14 hours and everyone has barely slept, Jasper's wound aches at the lack of rest and strains every time he paces the room. Penny cried on the way home from the dress shop and is now napping, Charlotte went home immediately in hope that Eliza might turn up there. There has been no word from James who went out to search London for her, Jasper went with him last night but returned when the night set in to see if she was at Ryddan. The sound of a woman's haughty voice carries from the open door to the living room through the wall, Benjamin recognises the voice immediately and he grimaces. 

"Who is it?" Jasper asks noticing, he had informed the butler that under no circumstances should they be disturbed but from insistence in the woman's voice he could tell they are about to be imposed on.  

"It's my aunt." Benjamin replies. The front door shuts and you can hear the sound of heels on the floor. The party wait for all to be revealed, the door opens and Lady De Roch walks in followed by a hesitant Eliza. 

"Eliza."Helen jumps up and moves to pull her into a hug, Jasper straightens his posture and Benjamin shifts awkwardly. Elizabeth throws her stick out to prevent Helen hugging Eliza. 

"Who are you?" She demands. Helen stumbles back in surprise. 

"Helen Harrington." She replies in confusion. 

"So you're the mother." Elizabeth says disgusted, "Your boy left my precious niece in the perilous streets of London." 

Helen recoils in shock, unable to formulate a reply. Elizabeth notices Jasper and storms towards him. Eliza simply stands like a silent statue. 

"You must be the coward you left my darling girl, she was attacked because of you!" She says viciously. Jasper narrows his eyes and tries to seek out Eliza but the woman in front of him hits his shin with her stick.

"You look at me boy, she came upon my house in a destroyed dress." She hammers on, "Blood dripping from her hand." 

Jasper snaps into action at that and brushes the woman inside, he stands in front of Eliza and pulls both her hands up to inspect them, he spies the the long thin slash down one hand, she snatches her hand away before he can touch it. Eliza looks into his face with dead and bored eyes, she doesn't say a word but moves around him to address her startled uncle.

"Uncle I am sorry for distressing you, that was not my intention, I acted in a foolish and unforgivable way, it will not happen again. I ask to be excused while you think of a suitable punishment, I would like to retire to the sewing room and think upon my sins." Her voice shocks everyone around her, it has no spark, no light, just a polite dead sound. Her uncle looks visibly effected at the contrast, he struggles with his words. 

"You will not be punished," He says worried, "I am glad you are well." 

"Thank you uncle, you are most kind." She says, "May I be excused?" 

"Of course." He says uncertainly. She curtsies to him and swiftly leaves the room. Everyone looks around at each other, what has just happened? Even Elizabeth looks to be astonished. 

"What happened to her?" Benjamin demands of her. "Tell me everything!" 

"I would hope you had better manners." She says stiffly, her nephew frowns. 

"Tell me." 

"Very well." She sniffs, "She appeared at my front door around 4 o'clock, I gave her a bed for the night, she didn't explain what happened until we were in the carriage on the way here." She glares at Jasper who takes no notice.