Chapter 22

Eliza slips into Harrington's room to find Helen kissing her son's hand and Penny holding the other to her face. They all look towards her as she enters, she flushes.

"Sorry." She apologises, "I'll come back.

"Nonsense, we were just leaving," Helen says sweeping the tears from under her eyes. "The doctor said to feed you soup so I'll go and organise the kitchen to make you some." She tells Jasper, kissing his cheek.

"I don't want to go, I want to stay with Eliza and Jasper," Penny complains scrunching up her nose and crossing her arms moodily.

"Penny, you can see him later," Helen takes hold of her daughter's hand.

"Bye." She says giving him a small wave before she is dragged her out the door, Eliza closes the door behind them. Eliza notices Jasper's sheets have been changed and he has a fresh shirt on. Colour has returned to his cheeks, well but tired.

"You didn't come back," Jasper says accusingly watching her sit in the chair next to his bed, she rolls her eyes at him.

"I thought you could use some privacy." She replies pointedly, he grumbles in return.

"What did the doctor say, I must have missed him on his arrival." She presses.

"Nothing to worry about," Harrington says gruffly.

"I don't think that is quite what he said."

Harrington remains silent, not looking her in the eye.

"I'll just ask your mother if you don't tell me." Eliza presses with a smug smile.

He groans "Fine, minx, the wound is not infected, I just need plenty of rest and....soup."

"I can't make soup," Eliza confesses.

"That doesn't surprise me." He says.

"What on earth do you mean by that?" She demands, irritated.

"Eliza, you hunt, and are currently wearing men's clothes, I don't think cooking is high on your priority list."

"Hmmm, I could learn." She says thoughtfully.

"Why are you wearing men's clothes?" He asks confused, observing her outfit.

"Long story, James let me borrow them."

"What?" Harrington whispers, deadly quiet, "You wearing James's clothes?" His voice has become dangerously emotionless.

"Yes..." Eliza says unsure.

"Take them off!" He demands reaching for her.

"I will not." She says, jumping off the chair and slipping away.

"You are my fiance, you should not be wearing men's clothes let along someone else's," Harrington says forcefully.

Eliza stands in the corner, far away and scoffs, shaking her head fervently.

"I am wearing these clothes because I arrived here in the middle of the night in a soaked nightgown, was lent a dress that didn't fit, rode to Jame's without shoes and he was kind enough to lend me something that doesn't crush my ribs."

"You came here in a nightdress?" Harrington asks surprised. "In the middle of the night?"

"Of course, I came as soon as I knew," Eliza says. " I only left because I was so angry at Dominic I needed to do something."

"Was angry?" He notices the past tense.

"You can't be angry at the dead."

"He's dead?" Harrington sits up in disbelief.