Chapter 27

In a situation where one is confronted with a current fiancé and a past one, one must pick the most suitable course of action. To Eliza that was to pretend to swoon onto the ground, in one swift movement she lets her hand fly to her head and her body fall backwards in an arch. James springs into action and catches her before she can hit the floor. Jasper and the young gentleman turn in surprise as she collapses and they all surround her, disagreement forgotten. People in the street turn to see the commotion she has caused.

"Eliza, are you quite well?" Jasper takes hold of her hand as James hoists her upright by her shoulders.

"A sudden headache." She lies quickly. Jasper frowns at her as she detaches herself from himself and James, she looks up and down the stranger and an unreadable expression crosses across her face and her eyes narrow but she turns to Jasper quickly.

"Do you have a carriage near?" Eliza asks overacting her distress.

"Just around the there." James supplies concerned.

"James would you tell Charlotte, Lady Harrington and Miss Penelope I have returned home." She asks weakly gesturing to Madame Olive's, "They are inside."

"Of course." He says glancing at the dress shop and back at Jasper who glowers at Eliza.

"If you would forgive me." Eliza releases Jaspers arm and walks towards the carriage that she recognises as Jasper's, no hint of ill in her walk or pace. James stares after her and Jasper quickly follows, the young man's mouth opens in protest but he doesn't voice his objections. The carriage door is opened by a footman at Jasper's nod. Inside the carriage, Eliza sits down and leans her head against the wall, Jasper climbs inside and takes the seat opposite to her, a scowl across his face having realised her farce long before. The carriage jolts forward and you can hear the clip-clop of the horse's hooves on the cobbles.

"Explain." He says shortly, she sighs at his annoyed expression.

"That man was indeed my fiancé a few years past. He was originally engaged to my sister but..." She begins.

"You have a sister?" Jasper interrupts surprised.

"She passed," Eliza says softly, "I don't talk about her much."

Her eyes dim, her mind replays the short time spent with Eloise, she shakes herself and continues.

"She was engaged to Sir Richard and when she died, my mother wished for me to take my sister's place, however, I was told the feelings on the match were not reciprocated and nothing more was said."

"He seemed to be quite familiar with you to be strangers for a few years." He says suspiciously.

"He visited me a few times at Ryddan Manor, we have an acquaintance," Eliza replies looking out the window, uninterested. Richard is of no consequence to her or her family, he may be rich and wealthy but the bearing of little personality made him a dull amusement to her.

"An acquaintance he seems to be proud of." Jasper grinds his teeth and Eliza looks up in surprise at his menacing tone.

"Then it is an error in his judgement surely. No one of respectable situation and standing prides themselves on an acquaintance with me." She comments lightly.

"That is my point," Jasper says harshly

"Your point?" Eliza's mouth sets into a line. "Do elaborate."

"A person with any morality would sooner call the Queen a whit than be proud of any relations with you." Jasper continues unaware of the hole he is digging, "The gossip and rumours James has informed me of, no one has a kind word behind your back."