The Forest

I am pretty sure I have twigs, leaves and pine nuts hidden in my hair right now, but I will never forgive myself if Hiccup finds that Night Fury and it kills him.

     Luckily, not a lot of people come into the forest as all I have to do is follow the footprints until I find him scribbling in his notebook out of frustration.

     "Whatcha mad at now?" I say as I walk at his side.

     "The gods hate me." Hiccup stuffs his notebook into the back of his pants. "Some people lose their knife or their mug. No, not me. I manage to lose an entire dragon!" He smacks a branch out of his face for it to only attack him back and smack him. This is far too amusing for me.

     My eyes catch a trail. It's wide and not very deep, like a very large animal had just been sliding along the ground.

     "Do you think this is the Night Fury?" The trail slides down a slope, so I slide down it and begin to see where it ends.

     "Meribeth." I stop and look at my brother, he points at the broken tree. "I think it definitely was the Night Fury."

     I grin from ear to ear. "Maybe I still have a chance." I gesture for Hiccup to follow me and the trail. We come to a stop at the top of a slope. We peak over, only to hide again as we catch two figures: one being all black and the other looking like a giant scorpion. I drop my voice to a whisper. "It's them."

     "Are they alive?" Hiccup looks as equally terrified as I am feeling right now.

     I shrug and slowly peak up to see any movements. One thing's for sure; they're definitely dragons. "I'm going for a closer look." I swing my legs over to the other side of the slope and roll behind a rock. Hiccup goes for a simpler yet more noticeable approach and runs to my hiding spot. "I don't have my arrows."

     Hiccup holds his dagger out to me that he keeps in his belt. "I have this."

     I glance back and forth between the weapon and the skinny lad. "Well, it's your dagger." I push him out from behind the rock and he freezes. It's all silent. Not even the woods can respond to this scenario. "Is it dead?" His eyes remain on one of the dragons as he gestures for me to join him. I jump up onto the rock, and I gasp.

      Night Furies and Deathgrippers are dangerous, but, my Odin, they are gorgeous.

     "Oh, wow. I did it," Hiccup says in shock. "Oh, I did it! This fixes everything! Yes! I have brought down this mighty beast!" Hiccup steps on one of the dead dragons' faces but it shoves him against the rock.

     "Pass me a rock." I hold my hand it. Hiccup slowly reaches down and passes me a rock the same size as my hand, never taking his eyes off of the Night Fury. I stealthily make my way towards the Deathgripper. It's breathing, its eyes are open.

     And its eyes and as white as an angel. Dear Thor, it's blind.

     I edge closer and closer to it, my arm held back like I'm about to throw a bola at it. Unlike the Night Fury, this one isn't tied down. He's just lying on the floor, looking defeated.

     "I'm going to kill you, dragons," Hiccup says.

     The Deathgripper doesn't deserve to die.

     I turn to him to stop him. "Hiccup—"

     "I'm gonna cut out your heart and take it to my father. I'm a Viking. I am a Viking!" He holds his dagger above his head and hesitates, looking at the dragon's eyes. I watch on in anticipation, the rock falling out of my hand and onto the floor.

     Hiccup could never kill a Night Fury, right? Right? That's my role, my goal, my life mission.

     Unable to kill the defenceless creature, he finally gives in. "I did this."

     "The Deathgripper doesn't deserve to die, Hiccup." He looks at me. "We have to get him back on his feet."

     He collapses to his knees. "I am not going anywhere near that monster." He begins to cut the bola strings tying down the Deathgripper like it's a race against time. I want to stop him, but my brain isn't agreeing with my body.

     "Hiccup, stop before it—" We're both cut off as the Night Fury leaps at Hiccup and pins him against the rock. My first reaction is to throw the rock at it to change its meal. It's not enough, its hunger is set on my brother. Its big mouth opens, but only a deafening roar echoes around us. It flies away, but it seems to struggle doing that as it crashes into trees around it.

     I feel a sharp sting in my arm so I try to brush it away. However, whatever's poking me is large. Very large. Judging by Hiccup's face, it isn't good.

     Oh, no.

     "Hiccup..." I have never heard my voice sound this weak before.

     "We need to get you home." He jumps to his feet and drags me towards our house. I look back at the Deathgripper as it struggles to stand, the Night Furies cries echoing in the distance.

     All I can process is a cry for help as I fall.