Attack Lesson

Another day or training, aka trying not to get killed by Gobber's questionable teaching methods.

"You know, I just happened to notice the book had nothing on Night Furies," Hiccup says, forgetting all about the Deadly Nadder that is searching for us all in the maze inside the arena. "Is there another book? Or a sequel? Maybe a little Night Fury pamphlet?"

Lucky for him, the Nadder makes his presence loud and clear.

"Focus, Hiccup! You're not even trying!" Gobber tells him. "Today is all about attack! Nadders are quick and light on their feet! Your job is to be quicker and lighter!"

Fishlegs screams. "I'm really beginning to question your teaching methods!"

"Look for its blind spot. Every dragon has one.

"What in the sweet Frigg is a blind spot?!" I yell out of frustration as I bump into the twins, who are running like their lives depend on it.

Well, I guess it does. But no running can outdo a Nadder, as it comes face to face with us as we turn a corner. We freeze and hold our breaths, though Ruffnut can't hold it for long.

"Find it, hide in it, and strike!"

"Do you ever bathe?" Ruffnut asks Tuffnut.

"If you don't like it, then just get your own blind spot!" Tuffnut hits her with his shield.

"How about I give you one?!" Ruffnut starts a head-butting battle with him.

"Stop fighting!" I pull them out of the way before the Nadder's fire breath comes for us.

"Blind spot, yes. Deaf spot? Not so much." Gobber laughs at us all struggling for survival.

"Hey, so how would one sneak up on a Night Fury?" Hiccup asks him like he has short term memory loss.

"No one's ever met one and lived to tell the tale. Now get in there!"

I keep the twins behind me as I navigate around the maze, my go-to weapon ready to kill the beast when I see it. "If you two die, I am not taking responsibility."

"We can blame Ruffnut," Tuffnut whisper shouts from behind me.

"What?!" The sister yells, causing Tuffnut to shush her loudly and me to lead them around all sorts of corners in hopes that we don't run into the Nadder.

But then we hear a crash, followed by Fishlegs running right past us while warning us about the Nadder knocking down the walls of the maze. The twins follow after him, but I am no follower. This lesson is about attack, so that's what I'm going to do.

"Hiccup!" Gobber shouts in annoyance. I wouldn't be surprised if he started this whole panicking situation.

"Hiccup!" I follow the sound of Astrid's voice, finally finding the Nadder as it makes a go for Astrid and Hiccup, who is trying to not be squished by the blonde teenager on top of him.

I take my aim. I close my eyes. I never miss.

"Well done, Boniface," Gobber says in the most monotone way he could've said it.

Bullseye. Straight into the leg. The Nadder limps away, a defeated whimper left behind. I saunter proudly over to Astrid and offer her a hand up. She takes my hand so I pull her to her feet.

"I could've taken that down." She brushes off the Hiccup dirt from her clothes.

"Yeah, well, I did it first." I shrug and smirk at her before we both turn to my brother.

"Is this some kind of a joke to you?! Our parents' war is about to become ours!" Astrid points her axe at him, which is lodged into his shield. "Figure out which side you're on."