one

I never knew that a person could spend a whole hour dusting one room of the house until I was forced to by my mother because every time I said I was finished, it was never up to par.

"Mom, it's Luke we're talking about. It's not like he even cleaned when he lived here," I huffed, placing a hand on my hip, swiffer duster in my grasp.

She shook her head, "Honey, this is the first time he's been home in two school years, I want it to look nice okay? We haven't seen him in a while."

I rolled my eyes and muttered under my breath, "I've seen his stupid Instagram posts." Luke was returning home for a few days at the start of summer break, which for me officially began today at four, but Luke's university let out about a week ago. He didn't come home last summer, but instead opted to live in Guatemala for the three months with his roommates to 'find themselves' or some dumb shit like that.

He was only staying with us for five days because he was planning to go stay with an old high school friend who recently moved back to town. I didn't get why we had to make the house look like it's never been lived in for this, but whatever it felt refreshing.

"Honeys, I'm home!" Andrew called from the foyer in the joking fashion he always does. Andrew is Luke's dad who married my mom when I was 13 and Luke was 17, so he's my step dad. Probably should've just said that. Either way, he's been more of a father to me than my biological one who my mom divorced shortly before the second marriage.

Andrew came into the living room and gave my mom a peck on the cheek, "Still no sign of the boy child?"

Mom shook her head, "Uh uh, but I mean he said he would be here at six, he's still got a good fifteen minutes, babe, let him have it."

They both laughed and Andrew went to go to the kitchen to check on dinner, shrimp pasta mom had boiling on the stove. Mom turned to me and waved the Windex bottle she was holding in my direction, "Is that what you're wearing?"

I looked down at my lavender sweater and leggings, "Yeah? What's wrong with it?"

She raised her eyebrows and gave a small shrug, "Well...I mean..."

I rolled my eyes, "Mom, it's just Luke, it isn't the Pope coming to dinner. He isn't gonna care."

The doorbell rang, and mom immediately set her cleaning supplies down to go get it, so I picked it up and brought the supplies to the kitchen to put it away under the sink.

"Lukey bear!" I heard her voice ring out as she opened the door. Andrew and I looked at each other and shared a laugh at the nickname and he shook his head, "Be glad I never call you anything like that." He handed me a stack of dishes with silverware on top and I went to set the table.

Glasses of water were already at each seat along with an empty wine glass. Since when did my home turn into a five star restaurant? Mom was really committing to this.

"Hey bud!" I heard Andrew greet from the kitchen, and I turned around and saw them in a hug. Andrew chuckled, "God look at your hair." My mom gasped, "Oh I know doesn't it make him look so handsome! Oh Andrew he's gotten so handsome!"

They separated from the embrace and Luke saw me and waved, "Hey stranger." I walked over and gave him a polite one-armed half hug, "Yeah Andrew is right, look at your hair."

It was longer than ever, down to his neck, and his curls were showing now that he's exited his emo phase and not flat ironing it to hell and back every day.

He laughed and held his arms out, "What, you don't like it? It's not hip with the kids, I mean you would know since you are so popular."

I slapped his arm, "You're only four years older than me, idiot."

Mom sighed and Andrew laughed, "And they're already back at it." Mom brought us all into the dining room to sit while Andrew brought the food out. Mom and I sat beside one another and Luke sat in front of me. He was wearing a short sleeved red button down and mom elbowed me, "Your brother dressed up."

"He's not technically my brother, so you can't guilt trip me through a sibling rivalry," I replied, semi-joking, semi-serious. He shrugged, "I can get behind this because I know it'll end up benefitting me as well."

Andrew came around and served the dish onto our plates before coming back with a bottle of white wine. He poured it in everyone's glasses and hovered over mine. I turned to my mom and gave her major puppy dog eyes and she shook her head, "Natalie, no you-"

Luke cut her off, smiling, "Oh come on, Diane, she's practically an adult."

I raised an eyebrow and smiled, crossing my arms in triumph. She smirked and looked at Luke, pursing her lips, "Okay fine."

I beamed, kicking Luke's shin playfully beneath the table, "Thanks, maybe you are good for something."

He pretended to look offended and shook his head, "Wow, really, right after I helped you towards a buzz? Unbelievable."

We ate dinner and Luke caught us up on uni and his classes, as well as his soul searching time in Guatemala, which if I had to bet, was mostly a huge pot fest.

The night began to wind down and mom took up everyone's dishes to wash. Luke had explained the drive down was tiresome and he was gonna hit the hay, but his bags were still in his car.

"Natalie, go help Luke with his bags please," mom called over the sound of the faucet. I nodded, pushing my chair in, and I went out to the car with Luke. He opened the boot and I pulled out a duffel bag and he got the other.

As soon as it was out of the car, my arm dropped from the weight, "Jesus what do you have in this thing, rocks?"

He laughed and elbowed me, "Yeah didn't you know, I bring my pet rock farm with me everywhere I go, they get lonely when I'm away."

We both laughed and he opened the front door for me, "I didn't get to talk with you much at dinner, the folks kept it pretty much on me. I'd love to hear what's been up with you."

We went upstairs and to his old room, which still looked like it did when he left: covered in punk memorabilia and posters. I nodded and smiled, "Yeah, we should catch up. I love talking about myself."

He chuckled and swung the bag onto the bed, "Oh trust me, we lived together for a year and a half, I know."

"Yeah," I started to walk out of the room.

"Goodnight. S'good to be home."

I stopped and turned around, nodding, "Night, idiot."