four

"How was the movie?" Andrew asked as I came back in. I thought about Daniel, swooning slightly at his image, "Amazing."

Mom was on the couch beside him reading a novel, "What did you end up seeing?"

"Ocean's 8," I replied, going to the kitchen to look for a snack. I pulled some animal crackers from the pantry and hopped up onto the counter, munching on them, "It was amazing, super funny. And such a good cast too."

She nodded, "I've heard good things about it, I'd like to see it myself."

Just then Luke came pounding down the stairs, clearly angry, with his phone in his hand.

"What happened?" Andrew asked, looking up from his laptop to see his fuming son. Luke shook his head, biting his tongue, "Well, amazing news from Chad! I can't stay with him anymore this summer because he told his really new girlfriend she could stay instead, so now there's no room for me!"

He put his head in his hands and came into the kitchen, yanking the fridge door open to grab a water bottle. I silently watched from my spot on the counter. "So now, I'm absolutely screwed and have no where to stay for the summer, and I really don't know what I'm gonna do!"

Just then my phone pinged and I looked at the screen. It was a message from an unknown number.

Unknown:
Hey cutie, it's Daniel :)

I suppressed a grin and quickly typed back. My parents were talking but I wasn't listening as I was extremely preoccupied at the moment.

Me:
Hiiii what's up?

Daniel 💕:
Not much rn I actually don't have anything going on tonight, and I was wondering if you wanted to hang

Me:
Omg yeah that sounds great, what were you thinking?

Daniel 💕:
Maybe go get some food and just talk, get to know each other ❤️

"So how does that sound, Natalie?" I heard my mother say.

I looked up from my phone and looked around. Everyone was staring at me as if they were waiting for me to speak. "I-I wasn't listening..." I confessed.

Luke sighed and Andrew chuckled, going back to his laptop. My mom put her hands on her hips, "How would you feel about Luke staying with us for the summer?"

My eyes widened, "Like the whole Summer?"

He scoffed, "It wouldn't be that bad, you already lived with me for a year!"

I shrugged, "I mean, he doesn't have a place to stay it would be kind of rude of me to be bratty about this."

He smiled and nodded, "Thank you, Nat. Okay so, guess you're getting another person in the house this summer. I promise I won't be a burden and I'll contribute around the house and-"

My mom smiled and hugged him, "Oh, you're our guest!"

Andrew raised an eyebrow, "A guest who's still going to do everything he just said he would do."

I got another message from Daniel.

Daniel 💕:
How bout I get you around 7?

Me:
Sounds perfect :) 💓

Locking my phone, I hopped off the counter and realized that I would have to tell mom about this sooner or later since it was already five o'clock.

I pranced into the living room and put on my best 'innocent daughter' face. Luke had joined his dad on the couch, and had turned the tv on.

"Mommy," I started slowly.

She looked up from her book, "You're going to ask me for something. What is it?"

I smiled and sighed, "Uh well, you see. I have plans for tonight..."

She furrowed her brows. Usually I just go out after quickly checking in with her and I don't typically make a big deal out of it. "Okay, and?"

I looked down and lowered my volume, "With a boy..."

She sat up, "With who? I can't hear you, speak up."

Luke was smirking at me and he turned to my mom, "She said she's going with a boy!"

I glared at him and he shrugged, "What, she was gonna have to know eventually! Be glad I ripped the band aid for you!"

My mom closed her book and crossed her legs, folding her hands in her lap, "Do I know this boy?"

I shook my head. "I met him today, he works at the theatre."

She raised your eyebrows, "You met him today and you already want to go out with him?"

I shrugged defensively and Luke rolled his eyes, "Easy."

I turned to him, "What the fuck did you just say?!"

"Language!" My mom scolded. Andrew joined in, "What's his name?"

"Daniel."
"How old is he?"
"My age."
"When is he planning on picking you up?"
"Seven."
"Where are you going?"
"To get food."

He shrugged, "Really, Diane, as long as she's being smart and safe, I see no problem with it." My mom sighed and nodded, "You know, you're right. She's basically an adult now, and she can make good decisions."

I grinned, "Oh thank you so much!" I hugged my mom and Andrew before darting upstairs to go get ready.

I put on a good playlist and began to thumb through my closet. I didn't get dressed up that often, but then again maybe I shouldn't be too dressy, it's a casual date after all.

I picked out a gray crew neck sweater that had 'NYC' printed in big maroon sports letters across the front with some denim shorts.

I threw my hair into a high pony with a scrunchy and let my baby hairs at my neck that couldn't reach the ponytail hang down. I put in some small silver hoops, and slipped on white tube socks that I rolled down with my white keds.

To top everything off, I did my makeup, just some concealer, highlighter, mascara, and lipgloss. I didn't want to do a whole cake face, because I didn't think the occasion called for it.

By the time I was entirely ready, I heard the doorbell ring and I came downstairs. I heard two men speaking. Oh god no, please tell me Andrew answered the door.

I ran down the rest of the stairs and turned to see Luke with his arms crossed, borderline interrogating Daniel as he stood on the doorstep.