eight

When I woke up I felt excited. This was a big deal because I can't remember the last time I was excited to go somewhere. Maybe Luke being here won't be so bad for me.

I went downstairs to grab something for breakfast and Luke was shirtless on the couch with mom watching the news. Since when was Luke so comfy being shirtless? He would always have at least an undershirt on when he was home.

Mom looked up at me and smiled, "Good morning, how'd you sleep?"

I yawned, opening the fridge, "Great, I crashed." I grabbed a banana and poured some orange juice before heading into the living room to join them. When I sat down, Mom was still looking at me.

I gave her a questioning look, "Yes?"

She raised her eyebrows playfully, "So am I gonna get to hear how this date of yours went last night?"

I froze and looked at Luke, panicking for a moment before he saved me, "Didn't you say you guys didn't have much in common, Nat?"

I mentally thanked him a million times before slapping my knee, "Oh, yeah mhm he was super boring. Seemed douchey too."

Mom nodded, sipping her coffee, "Well, most teenage boys are both of those things." Luke and I both laughed and he shrugged, "Who knows, Nat, maybe you'll have better luck dating up."

I coughed, nearly spitting my orange juice back into my cup, but regaining composure before that could happen.

Mom leaned away from me and gave me a 'girl whaaaat' look, "Oh come on Natalie, it isn't gross. You know, Luke's right, maybe you should scout out the options at that pool party thing you two are going to today. College boys are better when compared to high school ones."

I cringed slightly, "Mom, oh my god."

She shrugged and went back to look at the tv. I locked eyes with Luke and he stuck his tongue out at me briefly before turning to the tv as well.

I rolled my eyes and peeled my banana. God hanging around Luke all day is gonna wear me down. But to be fair, on the bright side...he will be in a swimsuit.

•••

Standing in front of my full length mirror I realized why I didn't often go to pool parties. I don't dislike my body, in fact I'm pretty happy with it, I just feel so exposed.

Like I'm in my underwear levels of exposed because let's face it, I basically am. All I had was this yellow bikini I bought last summer, and my bottom has improved in size just enough since then for my ass cheeks to be prominently displayed to all behind me.

But then again this was basically a college pool party, so there will be girls there in much more revealing attire than me, so what do I have to worry about? Also, who would want to look at me in the first place? I'm gonna be the dorky, less exciting Hemmings. I mean my last name isn't even Hemmings, but to Luke's friends it might as well be.

Three harsh knocks rapped against my door and I jumped from the sound.

"I'll meet you downstairs, we need to leave!" Luke yelled from behind the door.

"Okay!" I called back, hurrying my shorts onto my body before throwing on an open denim button up. Denim on denim, yeah I'm singlehandedly bringing back the 80's.

I put my sunglasses on my head and ran downstairs, seeing Luke impatiently standing with a hand on the doorknob.

He was wearing red swim trunks and an open sheer gold short sleeved button up. Oh my god.

"Come on let's go," he demanded, opening the door. I quickly followed, hopping into his car after he had already started it.

"Who's house are we going to again?" I asked while scrolling through instagram.

"Mikey, you remember him. You used to say he'd be bald by thirty."

I grinned nodding, "Aw, yes! I love Mikey. Oh oh does that mean-"

He cut me off, nodding, "Yeah, Calum and Ash are gonna be there too."

I clapped, smiling. The three of them were always my favorites out of Luke's friends in high school. They even used to have a band together. Mom would always yell at them for playing too loud in Luke's room.

I hadn't seen them in forever. I even used to have a massive crush on Calum, as he did fall under my usual type of tall with dark hair. I'm starting to branch out more now that I'm older...so who knows maybe all of them are hot now.

I chuckled to myself thinking about it and Luke smiled softly, glancing at me, "What? What's so funny?"

I shook my head, "Can't tell you."

His smile widened, "You think they're hot huh? Don't you! Yeah you do, I know you."

I rolled my eyes, "I mean mom did say to branch out to college guys so I mean..."

He shook his head, "Ohhh no, uh uh no way are you gonna try to get with them."

I pouted, crossing my arms, "Why don't you want me to talk to guys, you aren't my dad."

He bit his lip and shrugged, "I just..." he looked at me, "I wanna look out for you." He placed his hand on my knee and I gasped softly, and on instinct I jerked away from the touch.

He pulled away and cleared his throat, both hands now on the wheel. My heart was racing just from that millisecond of contact. I wanted his hand on my knee.

I wanted him to touch me, but I just blew it. He pulled up in front of the house and we got out, tons of cars already lined up down the street. I could hear the music playing from the backyard along with people laughing and screaming with delight.

I was so eager to go join them. I've never been eager for something like this, but the situation felt right this time.