𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝚆𝙾

Hearing her phone ring, she abruptly awaken, groaning. She looked out the door, seeing it was night time. She saw the caller ID, it was her mother. She sighed, picking her phone from the nightstand, she had accepted the call.

"Hey, baby, how are you?" her mother's soothing voice was heard from the other line.

"I'm doing just fine, mom," Bricole lies. Her tone wasn't barely believable, though. You could hear the stress in her voice.

"Bricole, you know you can tell me anything, I am your mother," she assures. Bricole sighs.

"I know, mom. I'm fine," Bricole says, once again. She hoped her mother believed her, she just wanted to be left alone for awhile.

"You don't sound fine, Bri. You don't have to lie to me. What happened this time?" her mother asked, knowing this wasn't something new. Bricole always had problems she couldn't deal with on her own.

"...I got fired yesterday, mom. Mr. Hempseed fired me," Bricole croaked.

"What?! Why?! After working there for a year, he's decided to fire you?! I should go up there and give him a piece of my mind with his black baboon looking self," her mother says, angrily at the fact that Mr. Hempseed knew her daughter needed the job.

"Mom, it's okay; I'll find another job. It's going to be stressful because you know I have Social Anxiety Disorder and it's hard for me to talk in interviews-"

"I know, baby. You'll get through it. You need some help finding a job? I got some fresh newspapers that has job offerings in them. Want them?" her mother offered.

"Yes, I'll take what I can right now," Bricole stressed, truthfully.

"Well, alright child. Come visit me when you're ready to pick these papers up, you hear me?" she asks, making sure Bricole was listening.

"Yes, Mom," she said.

"Okay, I'll see you," the line disconnected, hearing the beeps afterwards.

She places her phone on the nightstand, going back to sleep.

She closes the apartment door, holding the grey newspapers in hand. She had just came from her mother's home and her arms were weighed by the stack of newspapers.

"Was it necessary to give me more than one newspaper?" she groans as she sat them on the dining table. She searched in the kitchen drawers for a ink pen.

When she found a red ink pen, she sat at the dining table, searching through the newspapers, picking one from the stack. She flips the paper to it's back, reading the jobs it had to offer.

A story teller at the local Peach Library? No, I'm not very great with children. A teacher's dance assistant? No, stage fright and too shy. Janitors needed at Heltics Lincoln Laboratory? Maybe, She thought as she drawn x's and o's, tainted the paper.

She read throughout out the newspapers her mother had given her and only one job offer was preying her attention.

To be a janitor at Heltics Lincoln Laboratory. It wasn't much, but they advertised janitors will be payed twenty-five dollars an hour, and Bricole couldn't pass up that offer!

Placing the rest of the newspapers she read into the trash, she placed the others for backup just in case the one she wanted didn't go as planned.

She decided to rest all day, reading books electronically and paperback.

Hearing a knock on her door, she stood alarmed. She went to see who it was-it was her friend, Jelaynie.

She opens the door before Jelaynie engulfs her into a hug.

"Hey, friend! Long time, no see! Can I come in?" she cheesed, cheerfully.

"Yes," Bricole welcomes her into the apartment.

Jelaynie has been Bricole's friend for the longest since middle school. Now, they're in their early twenties still holding on the friendship they have. Jelaynie had a beautiful caramel complexion with blue eyes and blue dyed hair. She was a slim, but thick girl like Bricole. It's just that Bricole had more stomach than her.

"If I spent the night at your apartment, I would be a popsicle because you always have it cold up in this bitch!" did we mention Jelaynie has a pottymouth?

Bricole only laughs, "I'm sorry, I just hate having my room be so hot and muggy!"

They took a seat on the couch, beginning to conversate.

"You still working at the coffee shop?" asked Jelaynie.

"Sadly, no. Mr. Hempseed fired me," Bricole pierced her lips.

"You know, Bricole; I'm glad you're not working there anymore. He always been a creep to me. I noticed how he would look at those young girls when they'd bend over to pick something from the floor. The man disgusts me," she shivers, making a disgusted expression.

"I've never noticed that," Bricole said, thinking about her days of working at the shop.

"Don't take this as an offense, Bri, but the majority of the girl's hired were lighter than a paper bag," she frowns, "if you asked me, he favored lightskinned girl's over darkskinned girls. Maybe that's the reason why he would fire you."

Bricole never thought of it like that. She never thought the color of her skin would affect the way on how people treated her, better yet, have her to lose a job she held on to for the longest. She couldn't be mad at Jelaynie for saying it, though.

"Maybe you're right, Jelaynie," Bricole says, "but I'm looking into a job tomorrow at the Heltics Lincoln Laboratory."

Jelaynie mouth was agar, "Bricole that's a tough environment to work in. I don't think you could handle it."

Bricole frowned, "What do you possibly mean?"

"Meaning that they do horrible, terrible things in the laboratory. They find a unknown creature they've never heard of before and they torture it, trying to see what made them so different than others. You'll possibly be hearing a lot of creatures screaming in agony because the scientists injects needles into them all day," Jelaynie sighs, "they aren't gentle with them at all."

For some reason, Jelaynie's summary of the faculty didn't change her mind one bit of attending to the job and the fact she needed it.

VOTE,
COMMENT,
& SHARE.