Accidents Are Nothing Alike

Tessa’s POV

I made my way towards the café, still shaken up by seeing Zayn. When I opened the door, all of the delicious smells wafted straight from the kitchen to me. It hit me as solid as a wall; the smell was just so strong. I went straight to the counter to order a caramel Frappuccino and a blueberry scone. I sat down at a table with my wonderful food and started to sip my coffee. It was as good as I remembered.

I basked in the peace and quiet of the restaurant, knowing it wouldn’t last long. I waited a little bit and Noah walked through the door into the café. After he ordered something, he turned around, his eyes searching. I waved my hand and his eyes lit up when he saw me. He smiled as he walked towards me and took the seat across from me.

“Hey you,” He said. Then, he looked at my Frappuccino. “You are such a white girl.”

I scoffed. “Just because I drink coffee, I’m a white girl? What about men who drink coffee? And non-white people? Are they white girls, too?”

“Jeez, Tessa, I was just saying.” He put his hands up in surrender.

One of the waitresses came over, baring a Frappuccino and a massive brownie. She slammed it down on the table clumsily and walked away with her hips swaying, smacking her gum and blowing bubbles with her cherry red lips. We both just stared at her. Then, I switched my glance to pointedly stare at Noah as he was sipping his coffee. I stuck out my tongue at him, and when he retaliated, we both burst into laughter.

“So, Tessa,” Noah started the mostly civilized conversation. “You need to catch me up on the last three years.”

I smiled at him. “It’s a long story.”

“I’ve got time.”

“Fine.” I conceded. “But you have to tell me about you first.”

He sighed dramatically. “Not much to tell, really. I grew what must have been a foot, I started working out and building muscles. I got attractive.” He winked. “A couple of parties, the usual. I start my last year of school in the fall. Applying early for UNI. That’s pretty much it.” He finished.

“Well, you sound like you had bundles of fun.” I said sarcastically.

“Your turn, missy.” He whined, pointing his finger at me.

Now it was my turn to sigh dramatically. I didn’t know where to start. “Well, I graduated. I got into multiple universities but not NYU, my dream school. It’s always been my dream, so I decided to try again. So I moved to New York with no plan other than to reapply the next year.”

Noah gasped. “You, with no plan?”

I nodded my head grimly. “I know. It was very hectic. I found myself an apartment and a job working as an assistant to a major journalist at a magazine company. It paid well, so that was a perk. I reapplied to NYU and got in finally. I reorganized my schedule once I started school. So to recap, I moved to New York, found a job and an apartment, and finished my first year of UNI at NYU.”