My Name Will Live On

It was only natural that Taehyung would be late to class for the first day back to school. When his alarm sounded at six in the morning, he was so accustomed to shutting it off that throwing his phone to the floor felt like an afterthought.

But when the snoozed alarm rang again, the sound of an annoying buzz filling the room, he finally let out a loud groan and reached down to the floor, flipping it over to reveal the date and time. Immediately, he noticed two things: his phone screen was shattered, thanks to his carelessness, and it was already 7:15 a.m. when he needed to be at school by 7:30 a.m.

Groaning louder, Taehyung quickly shook off the covers from his body and jumped off the bed haphazardly, rushing to the bathroom across his bedroom. However, when reached past the shower curtain to turn on the knob, hot water didn't come out as usual. "Fuck," He muttered to himself. His father must have missed the bill payment, but he was likely already at work by now. Letting out a childlike wine in annoyance, he turned off the knob and flipped open the medicine cabinet above the sink.

Thankfully, there was still some leftover body spray, available and after quickly stripping off his shirt and shorts, he sprayed it all over at arm's length until it seemed passable. He left the restroom after putting the spray away and hurried to the closet in his room, sliding open the door to reveal his school uniform: a green zip-up with a black long-sleeve tee and matching trousers. As he finished putting on the clothes, Taehyung attempted to text his father on the broken phone, asking him to pay the hot water bill when he came home.

It was only a few more minutes of rushing between rooms before he grabbed everything needed, including his school backpack and a protein bar for breakfast from the kitchen. Finally, he grabbed his keys off the table and walked out the door of the house, closing it behind him, locking it with the flick of his fingers. He rushed across the yard to where he kept his bike locked against a telephone pole. Thankfully, it was still there, despite the increased rate of theft lately. It was really his only form of transportation, and he became accustomed to riding with a broken handle break and chipped red paint. Only a few minutes passed before Taehyung unlocked the string clasp and began peddling as fast as he could down the street toward the school.

Hanging his head for a second, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, praying his homeroom teacher this year was forgiving.

Room 27 - Class B - Grade 10

Out of breath from biking across town and jogging down the halls, Taehyung huffed and puffed vigorously as he pushed open the classroom door, anxiety filling him with each second. As the door creaked open, a room full of young eyes met his instantly. He adjusted his backpack nervously, attempting to look as inconspicuous as he could, and without any explanation, casually strolled across the room to the only seat left, behind a red-haired student and next to Jimin.

His best friend immediately noticed Taehyung sit down and offered him a soft smile, anxiety dissipating momentarily. However, Jimin's eyes left his moments later to watch the teacher walk toward them with a stack of papers and a frown. "Why are you late? Tell me now." She ordered angrily, glaring directly at Taehyung, paying no mind to Jimin or his watchful classmates. Swallowing nervously as the anxiety came to the surface once again, he shuffled off his backpack to drop on the floor next to his seat and stood up in front of her.

"I apologize, teacher," He confessed immediately. "I'm Kim Taehyung. I snoozed my alarm and had to bike across town." Apparently touched by his atonement and honesty, the teacher nodded and dropped a stack of papers onto his desk loudly, placing her finger on top of them. "Congratulations, Kim Taehyung. Take note of everyone's name from the beginning of class and write them in numerical order onto the seating chart." She explained with a sigh, glancing up to meet his nervous expression.