Dangerous Gift

Taehyung didn't fall asleep again in class after the teacher scolded him, didn't put his head down once.

It was a bit surprising considering his track record. It still puzzled Jungkook. He didn't understand why Taehyung slept all the time, but the thought made him frown as he walked down the empty hallway, scowling at the empty wall across from his classroom door as if sufficient irritation would make Taehyung materialize to question.

Since the first day, he spent most of lunch alone, and today was no exception. After eating the standard bland lunch served at the cafeteria, Jungkook made his way back to the classroom, maneuvering through the crowd of other students to arrive before the bell.

He paused along the way, stopping for a drink of water at one of the fountains. Maybe it was a deliberate attempt to prove to himself that he wasn't in a hurry to return, but it hardly made a difference when there was no audience to interrogate him for his reasons.

Jungkook took longer than he needed, walking slowly as he wondered an idle, hypothetical way what he would do if Taehyung didn't show up one day. He wondered whether it would affect his attitude and grimaced at the thought as he approached the door, hunched his shoulders in discomfort, and pushed the door open.

His eyes scanned the room before stopping to halt his gaze on the figure slumped over in Taehyung's desk. Though Taehyung and Yoongi had switched seats earlier, it seemed Taehyung had returned to his own seat as Yoongi sat at his own desk texting on his phone.

He stepped forward and let the weight of the door slam shut behind him. It echoed loud to his ears but neither of the two boys nor the rest of the class, even spared him a glance. Jungkook opened his mouth. There was a comment on his tongue, a snarky remark at Taehyung, when something clicked into place in his head, a flash of understanding.

With the lunch settling comfortably in his stomach, Jungkook felt an overwhelming desire to lie down. it hit him hard as he stalked across the room to his desk. He dropped his body down into his seat, making the metal creek loudly under him. He half-expected a glance, maybe a sneer from Taehyung as proof of his irritation. But Taehyung simply hunched his shoulders, digging his head between his arms to hide his face.

There was complete silence for a moment, and he could feel self-consciousness taut along his spine. Then Jungkook took a breath, loud enough for Taehyung to hear it, and let his head fall own against the desk, mirroring the other's position.

He kept his head down for what felt like five minutes before he heard a soft exhale of breath from Taehyung, and when Jungkook silently picked his head up to rest his chin on his arm, he could see the way Taehyung's shoulders relaxed and fingers uncurled on the desk.

Jungkook didn't fight back the tension of a smile that pulled at the corner of his mouth as the bell rang to signal the next class. But he did pick up his head, straighten his back, and shuffle his papers in an attempt to look busy once the teacher appeared.

Unlike the instructor who yelled at Taehyung, their science teacher was unforgiving, and Jungkook didn't want to pick a fight with the man, despite the rebellion tugging at his ego.

For a moment, he feared for Taehyung as the rest of the class looked attentive and followed along with the teacher, writing notes on the board once he began. But Jungkook quickly pushed at those thoughts and cleared his throat, glancing down at his paper where he began to write notes as well.

But he felt distracted, even as the teacher's voice got louder and his tone became angrier. The words on his paper didn't make sense anymore. His thoughts kept returning to the sleeping student in front of him. Finally, Jungkook couldn't take it any longer as he was never good at self-control. But when he gave in to his desire to look up from his desk, his eyes widened at the sight of his teacher standing in front of Taehyung's desk, arms crossed in obvious anger.