Cries Of The Past

Taehyung's spirits had skyrocketed since the incident with Jungkook. When he was kicked out of the classroom, Taehyung felt this unfamiliar self-satisfaction he had not felt in years. It was ridiculous. Jungkook was just a muscle-pigged bully who chose him out of the rest to target, and Taehyung was simply smart enough to retaliate. But somehow, he still felt the corners of his mouth tug up into an amused smile on his way home.

And as he approached the two-bedroom shack he shared with his father, he wondered whether his mood would crushed. However, as he locked his bike outside on the porch with two heavy-duty locks, the smell of fresh food swept over him, and he smiled wide before heading toward the door with an uncharacteristic skip in his step.

"How was school?" He heard his father ask from the kitchen as he pushed open the door to their house, sliding his backpack off to set it on the floor nearby. Though Taehyung's eyes focused o the fresh kimchi sitting on the table between their kitchen and the living area.

"Okay," Taehyung answered quickly as he approached the table and glanced over at his father who stood at the sink with his back toward him. "What is this? Did you make this? What about work?"

His father chuckled softly and turned around to face him, wiping off two plates with a dry cloth in his hand. "No, of course not," He explained with a smile. "I went to work, Tae. This is from Seoyun."

At the unfamiliar name, Taehyung offered his father a confused expression before sitting down at the table, leaning in close to smell the fresh kimchi. "Who's Seoyun?" He asked, watching his father sit the clean plates down onto the table as he took his own seat. With the kimchi directly in front of him, he waited no time and promptly began to fill his plate with a large portion, hunger suddenly hitting him from his small lunch earlier.

His father waited for Taehyung to finish and crossed his arms over his chest at the table. "You know, Lee Seoyun. She owns the corner store and deli mart down the road. We eat there every Sunday morning, and you still don't know her name?" He explained, shaking his head as Taehyung finished serving himself food.

"Oh," He sighed, nodding his head. The name sounded slightly familiar, but there was always someone new moving in and out of the neighborhood. Taehyung wouldn't be surprised if it was someone new his father met, but Seoyun was a friendly woman who often chatted and helped out his father with the yard, despite the few years he had on her. But Taehyung had never considered her further than a familiar face until now.

"You drag me there every Saturday, and now she's making you dinner? Why not just marry her so we can save money on breakfast?" Taehyung joked, offering his father a knowing smile and began to eat the kimchi in front of him.

In the middle of serving himself, his father almost dropped the kimchi on the table in surprise before sliding his plate over just in time. "Nonsense," He argued, reaching over with his free hand to lightly smack Taehyung in the back of the head with his chopsticks. "She's still married."

He rubbed the back of his head where he had been hit and rolled his eyes. His father was just as stubborn as he, yet Taehyung doubted this was the ultimate reason behind his father's avoidance.

There was a moment of brief silence as the two ate their kimchi in peace, and Taehyung's mind raced through the possibilities. Not once did he remember seeing another man hanging around her shop, not even a brother or uncle, only her younger son who attended primary school. But this couldn't be his father's reason either as Taehyung had no problem with children and was very accepting of such families, considering his own was a prime example.

"I've never seen her husband around," He said with an annoyed tone, pointing his chopsticks at his father. "They must be separated, so what difference does it make?"