Bottled Up Anger (3)

"Dad! Hey! Are you even listening to me?! I said Mom's with this crazy dude!"

" . . ."

"Dad! Why aren't you saying anything! You gotta watch out!"

". . ."

My wife, having an affair? That's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard. He's joking. He's got to be joking. It's gotta be a joke. 

"Ha ha, that's very funny, Boruto. Anyways, you can go now, you and Sasuke are done with your report already."

"Dad! I'm serious! I'm not joking! You gotta go to the Cloud and do something about it!"

"Hinata would never do something like that . . . Plus, how would you know about it?"

"Dad. I've been traveling to all kinds of places now. Ya think I wouldn't stop by to see Mom?"

"Give me your proof."

"What?"

"There's gotta be proof if she did that, right?"

"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm just saying I saw Mom with this guy that's on her team for that mission she has."

"You probably saw another person."

"Nope. Positive it was her."

"Boruto you better stop playing this prank. It isn't funny a—"

"Look Dad. Mom's with someone. So you gotta do something about it. If you don't—if you don't then you're really a shitty dad. Actually no—you're a shitty guy for doing that to Mom. Mom's too good for you. You gotta make it up to her. Y'know."

"What did I ever do? She's the one who's having an affair! Y'know!"

"And you're the one who made her leave. So its all your fault she's doing that. So ya better do something about it."

"Me . . .? My fault . . .? Oh yeah . . . it was . . . huh . . .?"

"Jeez! Just go see Mom! Don't you miss her at all?"

"I do. OF COURSE I DO."

"Then go see her you idiot."

"Wait . . . Do you think that guy's cooler then me . . .?"

"Just go Dad."

It's 3 AM in the morning. I'm at a convenience store, looking for cup noodles. I'm hungry.

I miss Hinata's home cooking. I miss her everything. I miss her smell, I miss her smile, I miss the talks we used to have, I miss her being here. I miss her so damn much. I miss Himawari too. I wanna see my little girl again. I haven't finished the book she wanted me to read to her. I miss my family. I hate this, I hate how they're not here.

Putting my thoughts aside, I come over to the instant noodle aisle, trying to put my focus on food. I look closely at each of the different flavors and packages. There's lots to choose from. I point my finger to each of the noodles, wondering which I should choose. I end up getting a random cup, I don't care what flavor it is at this point.

Walking out of the aisle, I look around the store, checking if I want to get something else. As I scan the room, I see the back of a women's head. Her hair's straight, short, and black, and it's above her shoulders. Her body shape is familiar. I squint my eyes, making sure I'm seeing who I think it is. It's Hinata. It's my wife, and I see her with another man. He's holding her waist, the way I used to. I stare at them for a very long time, in shock. Why's she here? What's she doing here?

It's funny how you realize all the wrong you've done after everything happens. It's funny how you begin to realize how much you take things for granted after you loose everything. I wonder, when did I start taking my family for granted? When did I start making work my priority? I can't remember. I guess at some point I just thought more about the village then my family. But now, I know what I've done. I think I finally know how to do this right. I know how to be a better husband and father now.

I run up to her and grab her hand. "Hina—"

"I'm sorry?"

I look at the women again. "Wait . . . You're not Hinata . . ."

"Ah! It's the Hokage! What are you doing in a place like this?"

I put my hand behind my head, trying to laugh away my embarrassment. "Ha ha. Yeah, that's me. I'm sorry for doing that to you just now. I thought you were someone else. I'm just here to get some stuff. Ha ha."

"Oh, no. That's alright. Well it was a pleasure to see you, Hokage-sama." She pauses and points at the man next to her. "Me and this guy needa go home now."

I wave at the two as they start walking away. I sigh in relief. It wasn't her. It wasn't my wife. It wasn't Hinata. I crouch down to the floor. It's scary how I thought that women was Hinata. I used to always know where she was, even from far away. I remember one time when we were at a bookstore, I was trying to look for her, and just by hearing her hum, I knew where she was. Maybe because I haven't been with her in so long I've forgotten what the back of her head looks like. Or maybe I'm just seeing things, I am tired. But then again . . . if she's not doing that here, she's probably doing that somewhere else.

I remember the morning of her departure we were fighting about whether or not Himawari should stay with me or her. I knew we already decided that Himawari would go to the Cloud, but I didn't want my little girl to leave. I finally gave in after a while, and the whole rest of the morning was so tense and quiet.

I guess it kinda makes sense now, that she's having an affair. She probably doesn't love me anymore. She's probably in love with that guy Boruto was talking about. She's probably in that guy's arms right now too. And what if she's happy with him? More happier then when she was with me?

"Wait, Shikamaru, are you serious?"

"Yeah. I'm serious. You're not getting your work done anyway. The only thing you do is put your head down and call out your wife's name. It's getting annoying. Look, you're not nineteen anymore. You can't just sit around and do nothing. You're the Hokage, and you gotta get your work done."

"Yeah . . . Sorry I've been out of it lately. It's just that—its just that—"

"Don't worry about it. I kinda feel like it's my fault I put you in on this. It was my idea for Hinata to go on the investigation anyway."

". . ."

"Anyways, just remember I'm only giving you a week to stay over there at the Cloud. After that you're coming back to the Leaf right away. I'll give you all the documents you need to get done for the days too, so you're actually not off the hook."

"Aw man! Seriously!"

"At least you don't have to be crammed up in this office for a week."

"Yeah, you're right. I hate staying my nights here all the time. Y'know."

"Just get back to your usual self when you're back, Naruto. Better start doing your work again too."

"Yeah . . . Everything's gonna be back to normal when I come back. I promise. 'Cause I never go back on my word. Y'know?"