Chapter Two: Tripping

The day's went on, and I got that job in the café. I was so excited to start, and I learnt quickly on the job. It was similar to brewing a potion when you make coffee and other hot drinks, but you're not blowing anyone up with it.

I was currently cleaning a table that was now empty, with cups drained of their substance. The white cloth: that was damped with water. I rubbed it over the table making sure it was clean. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a waiter with light brown hair coming out with a full tray of plates that held food. I can see that he was struggling and wobbling all over the place. Just as he was walking through the crowd of people on the floor, he was stumbling all over, and I could see this would end badly. Just then he tripped over his own feet. Spoke too soon. But instinctively I flicked my fingers in his direction, as the room became frozen. The tray frozen in mid-air, plates tumbling off the edge. The decision on what to do weighed heavily on my shoulders, should I help, but I wanted to be normal and live a life without magic for once. But my concussions got the better of me.

I quickly looked around to make sure that everyone was frozen, before throwing my cloth on the table that I was cleaning and rushing in front of him. I quickly grabbed the plates that were floating in mid-air, which was two. With my free hand, I straightened up his tray in his hand, and placed the plates back onto the tray, as everyone was still frozen. As everything looked the same, I placed my hands at either side of the tray, and then the room unfroze, and he tumbled forward but kept himself from falling. 

"Careful," I state, as I guided the tray to be steady in his hands

"Careful," I state, as I guided the tray to be steady in his hands. He looked at me surprised, a small smile appearing on his face.

"Thank you," he replied gently, as he toddled off to the table to serve their food. I let out a sigh, as I returned to my table to finish cleaning. As I peered up through my lashes, I saw him staring at me with his blue eyes, I couldn't help but have a smile on my face. Maybe coming to New York wasn't so bad, there are always innocent's to save.

...................................

It came to night and the café was closing for the night, I was left with Beth and that waiter from earlier, who nearly tripped over his own feet. He was called Mason Martin, he was cute to be fair, he was really nice too. As I began to pull my black coat around my outfit, I saw Mason pull his own coat around him, as we were leaving at the same time. At the same time, we both headed for the door, him going first but holding the door open for me, I smiled at him as I walked outside, he quickly matched my pace.

"Hey...Jessica, right?" He asked as if he didn't know, but he did. It said it on my name tag.

"Yeah, nice to meet you," I stopped and held my hand out for him to shake, and he gladly did it, before it ended a second later.

"Likewise," He smiled as we both started walking again. "So, what made you get a job there?" He asked, so intrigued on why I wanted a job there.

"Just to get some cash, I need money to pay rent and other things," I chuckled at my answer to him, but I knew that the rent on the apartment was paid in six months, so I didn't have to worry so much about that for the time being.