2: The first time seeing him

In everyone's lives there are some moments that can change everything, and sometimes those moments have already happened, but a person can deny it until they are given a proof.

Nishinoya was now free to enter the hospital room, but now the realisation about what exactly is in there hit him. When he enters, everything will become real. He can't act like it was just a rumor, and Asahi went somewhere for holidays.

The liberos's legs were shaking and he felt the beating of his heart in his throat, hands wet from perspire. It seemed like there wasn't enough oxygen in the air.

Nishinoya forced himself to move closer.
One step, then another.
It was enough and he was already in the room, where nothing could block his sight anymore.
It was him.

Asahi.

Asahi Azumane.

His Asahi.

In just a few seconds, the most important thing on the world became the pale injured body on the hospital bed, and the slow breathing sounds accompanied by the steady beepings signaling  a beating heart.

The ace was lying unconsciously between white sheets, both legs in ugly plasters. Nishinoya couldn't see his torso under the blanket, but his forearms, which could be seen under the sleeves of light blue hospital gown, were fully bandaged. Only his fingers were unharmed, and now Nishinoya felt like he just needed to touchl it, feel his skin, to make sure he is still warm and alive, and this is just a phase, everything will be alright.

He did a few wobbly steps, and reached out, their fingers slightly brushing against each other.

Nishinoya took one last, shaky breath that threatened to become a sob before he forced himself to take a look on Asahi's face. There was a bandage on his head, his once mesmerizing long hair completely shaved off. One of his eyes was swelled up in a dark purple color.
His angel like face  was almost unrecognizably covered in bruises, a tube in his mouth, and different wires coming from almost every free skin left on him. Central IV, ECG,drains, catheter, ... Looking at all of them give a sudden urge to the short boy to vomit his todays food right on the hospital floor.

The only sound in the room was the unchanged heartbeat; so he used it to calm himself. Asahi is alive, this isn't permanent.
Nishinoya glanced at the paper hanging on the bed.
There were a lot's of words, some he understood and some were completely foreign.
Basal skull fracture
pneumothorax
ACL tear
splenectomy
tibial fracture
rib fracture
Nishinoya felt a squeeze around his chest, threatening to suffocate the volleyball player.

Asahi can't... He just can't! That's a really bad dream and he will wake up in his bed, and then he is going to confess, he will do everything he was procrastinating, just let this whole thing be a bad dream! They were supposed to have time!

- Asahi – his voice wasn't louder than a whisper.
The tears burned his eyes, as he held his upperclassman's hand as tight as he could without causing more injuries, but he won't cry!

- He will wake up, he will be alright – his mind was tense like he could force his will on the development of the future and make the ace, his ace, to open his eyes – Asahi you will make it! I know you will be okay.

Asahi's mum touched his hand to ease the grip around her son's fingers.
–Thank you - her smile was lacking every drop of happiness – He told me that you would never give up on him. Asahi...
Her voice cracked, but she continued after a little pause.
- He had a bunch of surgeries, and he is not out of the woods yet, but he is alive – the tears faded her eyes – They told us to prepare for the worst, but I know it won't happen. Just keep believing in him, until...