3: This is what friends are for

Nishinoya woke up curled in a ball on the floor, cuddling himself to his pillow, still wet from yesterday's tears. He was surrounded by tons of empty bottles and packages, while Ryuu snored taking up the entire place on the bed, where, Nishinoya clearly remembered, he fell asleep too, only about three hours ago.

His room wasn't quite small, but it was a disaster on its own with every possible surface cowered under ton's of practice clothes, kneepads, unfinished homework, poor attempts of drawings, videogames, unwashed bowls in which he sneaked food in there, and printed photos waiting to join the thousand other already on the wall. Nobody clearly remembered the color of the walls in the room of the oldest Nishinoya kid, since he got a hobby of printing out and putting everything on it that could make him interested and the libero was clearly a person who could get excited about nearly everything. As a consequence of it his room was full of photos about his friends, school activity, volleyball players and tactics, memes, video games and anime characters, American bands, simply everything that even once got his attention.

One glance on the frog shaped clock he inherited from his cousin was enough to realize a mistake they made.
- Ryuu!! We slept in!
The loud shout ended the bald boy's dreams immediately.
- What? – He jumped on his foot clearly confused from the fast wakening – What happened? What's the time?
- We have to leave in ten! Get ready! –Nishinoya ordered as he got rid of his pajama.
- Shit! Daichi will kill us! – The thought of the captain who never gone easy on the members late for morning practice was enough to make Tanaka join the hurry.

He was nearly ready when a loud din of a hairspray can landing on the floor startled him. He looked over his shoulder only to find his best friend with half done hair staring back shocked, both of his arms hugging his own torso, his hands grabbing on the upper arms. Nishinoya's amber eyes widened and shined with scared questions in them.
- Asahi... It wasn't a dream...
Tanaka had to do only a few steps to be next to his best friend, an arm put on the libero's shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. He couldn't do anything effective and it annoyed him more than it should.
- My phone – Nishinoya composed himself as he shot out to rummage his whole room for the appliance. Asahi's mother asked for his number a night before and promised to inform him if anything changes.

When he finally found his mobile he frantically pushed the button on the side, but the monitor refused to light up. He forgot to recharge it a night before!
- Fuck it – a loud curse escaped his mouth as he threw away his phone in frustration.

- Hey – Tanaka might be the most aggressive and intolerant member of the Karasuno's volleyball team, but he was weirdly patient and carrying for his short friend – We should go to practice. I am sure Suga will know if anything happened.

A new determination settled in Nishinoya.
- You are right – he jumped up, throwing the traitor phone and a charger next to his practice stuff so he could plug it in at the club room.

Tanaka suddenly appearing after their oldest child got upset was so common, that the Nishinoya parents didn't even question his presence in their kitchen running out of Yuu's bedroom when he clearly wasn't there last night. Kuniko, the libero's even shorter mother, just put out another sandwich, which they used to buy premade, for him too without any questions.

- Noya! Yours!
Damn it. Noya was perfectly aware that this ball was his, not even a difficult one; he just... didn't see it in time.
The ball bounced off the floor right next to his hand for so many times now under just one practice that he couldn't even count it.
He slammed his hand on the wooden parquet, but immediately regretted it as the stabbing pain radiated inside his bones.
- That's enough, Nishinoya, we have to talk. Others continue to practice – Ukai-san's voice echoed in the gym, followed by uneasy silence.
Everyone knew that their libero sucked this day, but they remembered his runaway just a day before, so there was no way anyone would mention it. After all, every player was affected by the events, the net seemed just a little higher, the ball heavier and faster, their movies more difficult than a few days before.