6: Before everything changes

When everything seems the same gray, after some time its hard to notice how the days pass.
More than three weeks left since the accident, and most of the people returned to their life, except the ones who were the closest to Asahi.
The Azumane family became quite close to the Nishinoya's, the kids liked to play together and the libero's family was looking after them quite often while their parents went for the visiting hours to the hospital. Except them, Nishinoya was the other one who was there every day, although Sugawara and Daichi showed up quite often too, and everyone else from the team appeared at least once or twice, carrying cards, flowers, or other small gifts.
Hinata and Kageyama left there a volleyball, Yamaguchi brought a plush bear, Yachi a self-made drawing of Asahi, Ennoshita gave a framed picture of the whole team,...
Tsukishima was different, he didn't left anything in his room, but he made a direct blood donation for Asahi and his brother before the kidney transplant.
In the school Asahi being admitted in the hospital and unconscious wasn't news worthy anymore, the student's stopped whispering about the delinquent looking third year who, as per the gossip, was drunk driving and crashed with a car. There were other type of stories too, but that one was the most hurtful. It blamed the innocent and precious Asahi, resulting with people saying he deserved the accident.
Nishinoya spent three days suspended after breaking a nose of the kid who said the rumours to him.
He was starting to become "that kid" in the school, with bad temper, getting infuriated for seemingly small things and getting in fights. Noone could connect the dots between him and Asahi correctly, except his friends, so the students talked about them being gang members together.

- You know what I heard today while takeing a piss? - Tanaka was sitting on Nishinoya's bed.
They were having a movie night, with a pretty shitty, over the top action movie and a pizza.
-Hmmm-mmm.
The libero was about to fit a whole slice of the deliciousness into his mouth.
Luckily Tanaka was able to speak Noya-language, even in those situations.
- Some first years were whispering about Asahi.
Anger sparkled up in Nishinoya's eyes.
- Ighf egh saigh sohghigh....
- Please swallow the food first. But what I heard is, that you are in a gang. And Asahi too. That's nothing new, but they said that it wasn't an accident, instead it was a gun fight with another gang, and you are going to revenge him - Tanaka finished the story.
- People are stupid - Nishinoya sighted, but even he had to admit that this was quite ridiculous and almost funny.
A long silence followed, while they were watched the pritagonist run away from the explosion and save the female lead character.
Tanaka's eyes reflected a lot more seriousnes when spoke up again.
- Noya? Aren't you exhausted?
- What do you mean? - the libero looked on him by the corner of his eyes.
- It's been weeks, and since that happened you are constantly stressed, you spend hours in the hospital every day, and you are trying to read the whole internet about different injury prognosis.
The brunette boy stopped the film and turned completely to his best friend.
- You know its not about me...
- Bro... how long do you think you can go on like that? Three weeks passed, thats enormous time to spend in coma. And no predictions how long it will still be! You have to think about yourself too. Just take some days off, go to party, anything...
- I can do it when Asahi wakes up.
- Noya, its not sure this will happen anytime soon. Your life can't be on the pause, while you are waiting for Asahi to return!
This conversation was coming for a long time. Even Daichi was urging Tanaka to talk with his best friend, maybe he will listen to him.
- He has brain activity, but he can't wake up because the other injuries. At least Mino explained it like that  before. So its just some time that he heals and then he will come back!
- Noya, that's not exactly how health and trauma works.
- You have no idea how those things work either!
It was useless to even try to argue with him when he got so fired up.
- Okay, okay - Tanaka surrendered - We will see. Just take care of yourself more.

Mino looked on his younger brother above his beer.
They were sitting in their living room, the kids already in bed, and their wives went out together on a girls night. Considering that Maria, Kou's wife barely spoke japanese the two women were really close.
- Speaking about his friends, why are you so mean and unaccepting towards that little boy?
- Nishinoya is not his friend - the answer was cold as usually when Kou was speaking to the libero or about him.
- I remember mum telling something similar about your first girlfriend.
- That was different.
Mino rised his eyebrow in suprise.
- I thought you are okay with Asahi and his orientation.
- I am. But they are not a couple. And waaay to young for this. And of course, it looks like only I can remember that Asahi was always saying that he is head over hills for the team's girl manager.
- Nishinoya-san even told mum, that he is into Asahi, maybe that manager thing was a misunderstanding. You know Asa-chan and his lack of confidence, most likely this little fella could walk around with an "I love Asahi" sign on his forehead and our brother wouldn't belive.
The black haired man considered his brother's answer a little, but then shook his head.
- Maybe. But they are teenagers, maybe he is just curious, experiementing a little, and the accident just made it suddenly more intensive, it doesn't mean at all that he would really choose him.
- Kou, did you pay any attention these days to Nishinoya? He is suffering just like us, clearly he can't process the accident. He is in the hospital more then even some of our family! I think Asahi is really important to him.
Kou took another sip from his beer before answering.
- It's not just that - he slipped his hand into his short black hair, so different from the others in his family - When we found out that Asahi is into guy's I wasn't happy at all. Japan is not even nearly open minded enough in those questions. And Asahi is fragile, it's so easy to hurt him, especially when he feels like it's his fault that somebody else is hurting. I hoped he will find someone who can protect him, but this boy is so small, I don't think he can even protect himself. Just imagine if they are together and something happens to him, Asahi would break - Kou explained while playing with a loose thread from the kitchen cloth next to him.
- Common, he has more fight in him than it is even possible to fit in his body. I heard from mum he lectured even you once. Or  do you remember when he spent almost three full days in hospital? He was suspended , cause he broke a nose of a kid who told him bad things about our brother.
- Maybe you are right, but you have to understand I just wanna protect Asahi. Especially after this... Who knows how much of him will be left...
And don't forget, that they are basically kids. We can't force that young boy, or even expect that he deals with all of this, just cause he had a teenage crush on someone.
- You are right...  - Mino suddenly fell quiet, and then suddenly hit on the table so hard, it echoed in the small room - Damn it! This waiting makes me crazy!
- I know... - Kou had a stronger self control, but even his fingers turned white from the strenght he was holding into the glass.
- I don't know what will I do if Asahi will have some permanent damage, or even worse...
- If he doesn't wake up - Kou finished his brother sentence in a voice barely more than a whisper.
The oldest brother's eyes shined stronger than normally from the tears he was fighting back.
- I should have protected him! He is my little brother...
- He is OUR little brother - Kou put a hand on Mino's shoulder. The stress, fair and sadness from the past weeks weighted the athmospher above them.
The door opening has brought an end to the moment. They had to be the strong men again for their family.