11: An End And A Beginning

- You can do this! Common! – Nishinoya’s voice echoed through the room and the whole house.
Asahi was grateful for the encouragement but letting Noya to see him like this still made him uncomfortable.
It wasn’t the libero’s fault. He was nice, and kind, he never pushed Asahi for things that weren’t for his own benefit.
It’s just... Asahi felt like a damaged goods. Especially now, when just standing up put him in this state. He was gasping for air, the perspire already forming on his forehead as he tried to stand on his thin and wobbly legs. That’s what months of lying in a bed does to someone.
Nishinoya was standing right next to him, Mino just a step behind, and Kou with their mom at the door, all ready to jump to him and help if needed. For sure their wives and the kids would have been here too if they wouldn’t fly back to their homes a few days ago.
Asahi couldn’t help himself but feel like a performer in the circus. He knew they are there to help, and because they like him... But still. He hated being the centre of attention.
He made one step, small, barely more than just shifting his weight on a leg before him. His knee wanted to give up. His weight lapsed in the wrong way. But just before three pairs of hand could catch him, he stabilized himself. One more step.
That’s it.
Asahi tried to sit on the bed, but it was more like falling on it without any grace.
Nishinoya let out the breath he didn’t know was holding till now.
- You did it! – he exclaimed happily.
- Nice job, Asa-chan – Mino tapped Asahi’s shoulder with fatherly pride.
This were Asahi’s first steps outside the physiotherapy, on his own.
Nishinoya would swear he saw tears in Mrs.Azumane’s eyes as she went out the room with a happy smile.
Her sons followed short after, taking the wheelchair with them.
Nishinoya was left alone in the room with Asahi.

Today was a special day. Not only because if the older boy’s first steps. Today was the first night Nishinoya will spend at the Azumane house. It was still a wonder to Noya how they parents allowed it. Asahi’s family wasn’t even a question, they acted like Noya belonged to the family the same as Kou’s and Mino’s spouses. But Noya’s parents were still battling with their reactions sometimes, although they were trying really hard. Sometimes too hard. For example, the memories from yesterday will for sure make Noya cringe for an eternity. His dad wanted to give him THE TALK, since he is going to spend the night at the person’s house he is attracted too, only to realise halfway through it that his knowledge does not include relevant things for him. So, he left and half hour later came back with some printed out information that he gave to his mortified son. 
Not like anything even close to that information could have happened tonight.
In the last month since he confessed his feelings to Asahi, they spent a lot of time together, but never get to do more than just hold each other’s hands. They did spend a lot of time together, but it was mostly Nishinoya talking about his feelings to Asahi, who was much more held back, mostly just trying to finally believe that it’s not a dream.

- Should I sleep with you in the bed? – Nishinoya blushed a little bit on the thought of their bodies so close.
- Yeah... I mean if you are comfortable... I won’t... You know... Do things to you... I don’t mean it like I don’t want to... Because I would... But not like that... OH MY GOD - Asahi was getting more and more crimson coloured.
- Just stop talking – Noya smiled at him as he sat down on the side of the bed – I know what you mean.
The other one seemed to calm down somewhat as he flashed a shy smile on his underclassman.
This was the first time they were truly alone, not surrendered with the hospital stuffs or the constant supervision from their families, and of course let’s not forget their friends. Noya loved how strong the friendship is between the volleyball players, but come on! It seemed like there was always someone who wanted to visit Asahi and hung out with him. Those times Noya had to watch himself not to sit too close, not to linger his eyes on his upperclassman for too long. Asahi clearly kept his orientation a secret in high school, so it Nishinoya worked extra hard to not accidentally out him.
The libero dreamed about being finally alone almost every day, he had it all planned out... But now his brain was empty. What could he say without being awkward?