5: The place where he is missing

This was the morning... the morning that every year filled Nishinoya with fear. But now, he was just numb.
Spending a full week in constant fear of losing Asahi forever left a mark on him. Not just emotionally, but physically too. He was unable to sleep, which resulted in constant tiredness and weakness. Sometimes even fatigue. Adding to all of it his eczema, which wasn't a problem in the last three years reappered in the crook of his arm, resulting that now not just the worrying but the constant itching was driving him crazy too.
Every day, as soon as the last class finished he was rushing to the hospital, but there was never any real change when he arrived. Of course, after doing an awfully lot of examinations, blood and urine tests, cancer screening,... they finally evaluated Asahi's misterious second brother as a possible donor, so they both could had their surgeries two days ago. But at the end... it was still the same. Asahi was still lying unconscious in the hospital.

In the middle of this situation it was really unbelievable that anyone would expect Nishinoya to study for exams.
- Yuu dear, we arrived - his mother voice shake up the libero. He didn't even noticed that he zoned out so much, he didn't payed attention to his surroundings. They were already stopped in the school's parking lot.
- Are you thinking about the exam day? Don't worry I am sure you will rock them!
- If you say so... - Nishinoya just shrugged his shoulders and opened his door - Good bye, mom!

The anxiety feeled the air around the short boy as soon as he entered the building. The students were talking to each other in small groups, asking the questions they were still unsure about. The whole atmosphere was contagious and it started to make him concerned too.
In the hailway he crossed next to Tsukishima, who seemed like the only one unbothered about everything, leaning on a wall with headphones on, while Tsukishima was burrying himself in notes next to him, looking like he was about to throw up his breakfast.
- Hey, calm down! - Noya friendly bumped his teammate's head. He tried his best but his smile still seemed somewhat forced.
- Nishinoya-san - the green haired first year jumped surprised - I... I am sorry... I haven't notice you
He mostly looked like he was about to cry so to prevent that Nishinoya greened on him even more.
Tsukishima barely looked on them but even that contained a certain amount of disdain.
- Don't worry, It's totally okay. Good luck! - the libero tried to cheer up his underclassman.
The pinch-server's face turned from scared to something more melancholic as he lowered his voice.
- How do you feel?
Nishinoya's hand unintentionally clenched into a fist. Since he run away after learning about the incident everyone was acting around him like he was something fragile and unpredictable. He hated it.
- It's not me who was hit by a car - the answer might have seemed colder than he wanted, but who cares...
Tsukishima now stopped acting like he wasn't listening to them and prepared himself to defend his best friend who was only trying to be sensible towards their libero.
Most likely it would have ended in another fight for Noya if Tanaka wouldn't appear from somewhere to prevent it.
- Good luck guys with the tests, we have to go too!
Then he proceeded to drag Nishinoya to their classroom.

- Common, bro! Don't pick up a fight ten minutes before the exam that will decide which class you will get in next year!
It seems today was the rear day when Tanaka was acting mature.
- Who the fuck cares about exams? - he mumbled to himself.
- I thought you?! - Tanaka seemed clearly suprised by his friends negligence of his studies.
- Since when are you such a nerd?
- You really didn't think about it before, did you?
Nishinoya started to be quite annoyed with his best friend acting like he knows everything.
- What?
- Noya, look, I know there is a lots of things going on right now. But if you can't find a motivation to study for yourself, then do it for Asahi.
Just mentioning the upperclasman's name resulted in getting the libero's full attention.
- What do you mean? - he looked on Tanaka with suspicion that it will be a trick.
- Common Noya, you are the one who advocated it the most that Asahi will wake up soon. What do you think, what will happen then? He celarly can't graduate this year. You should pass your exams, even better, get in the class 3 like he was, so you can help him as much as you can! - Tanaka might have exaggerated a little, but he couldn't let his little friend to give up on his education just after he gave up on volleyball.
It was terrible what happened to Asahi, but life goes on, and unfortunately being to most passionate and supportive when their friend suffered an accident wasn't a possible carrier choice.
- You are right - the libero's face turned unusually white - Ryuu! I didn't study!
- YOU MEAN AT ALL? NOTHING? - damn, he should have come up with this Asahi helping a lot sooner.
- Ryuuu - Nishinoya whined while the frequency of his breathing increased - I could have been helpful in this one thing and I fucked it up!