10: Not Perfect, But Not That Bad

The sight of Asahi's body throwing itself around like possessed was easily the scariest thing Nishinoya had ever laid eyes on. It was a source for his nightmares even years later.

His finger started to bleed because of the continuous picking on the skin next to his nail.
He was sent out of Asahi's room more than half hour ago, and  the uncertainty was drawing him crazy. The staff left the room after a few minutes, but they said he should wait for the Azumane family to arrive. They made it really clear, that they can't give him any information, since he wasn't a close relative.

- Hi - a young nurse, maybe in her thirties sat down next to him.
Nishinoya looked at her with surprise. He was coming to the hospital for months, but never talked to the staff more than a few sentences. Her strict black ponytail and the dot above her lips seemed quite familiar.
- Hello - the libero answered still confused.
The nurse looked around them, like she was making sure no one can hear them.
- I am really not supposed to tell you anything, but I know how hard is it to wait, and I saw you here all the time. I know you are not just some stranger here, but the hospital's policy is clear. It's not the employees fault.
- Yeah, I know... - Nishinoya answered, still annoyed by the fact he had to wait outside.
A beeper went off in the nurse's pocket.
- I have to go - she stood up, but she turned back to the boy once more and added with lower voice - It was an epileptic seizure, he is fine now, will get some more examinations later. I never talked to you.
She walked away without waiting for any answer.
"He is fine" - those single words were like balm for the libero's soul.
He still hated waiting to see Asahi again, to make sure that he is really alright, but the minutes passing didn't feel anymore like they were killing him slowly.

Asahi's mom turned up almost an hour after her son's episode, with the female doctor from earlier by her side. It seemed they already had their talk before, and the fact that she didn't look distressed was the best way to calm Nishinoya's racing mind too.
The elderly woman greeted him with a smile.
- Oh, Noya-kun! I am sorry we made you wait, and thank you for being here.
- It's okay - his mother would be quite angry at him for his lacking politeness, but he was always able to concentrate only on one thing, and right now it was to get back to Asahi. His Asahi.

Mrs. Azumane was the first one to enter the room, closely followed by Nishinoya.
- Hey darling - she put her hand on Asahi's face, who leaned in it softly.
- Mom? - his voice was weak, and he seemed really tired.
- Everything is fine - her voice was calm, but there was some hidden strength in it.
She sat down on her son's bed, so she could hug him easier.
Asahi was the strongest high schooler Nishinoya knew, but now he seemed fragile and scared, not just in the usual, shy way, but his whole presence radiated from brokenness.
He looked like he lost all his energy, and if it was possible, then he became a few shades paler in just that one hour. The short hair on his head, which only started to grow back, now was sticking to his skull with perspire, and there was a new IV bag connected to his arm.
His mother started to explain him what happened, that it's common that patients develop epilepsy after a brain trauma, that for complete diagnosis he will have to get a CT scan, and that it's completely okay, he will be fine, this is something that can be treated.  She was comforting her son with her words and the gentle strokes on his back.
Nishinoya felt himself like an intruder in that intimate mother-son moment.
Asahi needed his mom now, not him.
He decided to sneak out of the room without disturbing them, but right before he could have closed the door behind himself, a shaky voice called out for him.
- Noya? I am sorry...
The libero needed a few moments to process what he just heard.
- You? Are sorry? - he repeated in disbelief - For what?
He was back in the room instantly.
- For everything. I am sorry you had to see it... Me... Like that. That I am always so much trouble for you...
- Yes, you are...  But only 'cause you are a damn moron! - he answered frustrated, but than sent an apologetic look to the woman next to Asahi - Excuse my language, but it's true. Look, Asahi, this all? It's not your fault. It wasn't your fault that you got hit, and how can you say sorry for having a fricking epileptic fit? You are kidding me?
- But... - Asahi seemed a little scared that he angered his underclassman - I ruined it...
- Ruined what???
The spiker's face blushed, which actually approved his look a lot, at least he seemed alive again.
- I ruined our... - he mumbled to himself the answer, inaudible for everyone else.
After both of his visitors looked at him confused he repeated himself, while he turned even redder than before.
- I ruined our moment...
A loud laugh excaped Nishinoya, but it quickly turned to a soft smile.
- Don't worry, I am planning to have a lot more moments with you - he reached out for Asahi's hand, who in return looked on him in awe.