Chapter 7

When it was his turn to come to me, I held out my hand. He looked at me strangely but shook it.

"Hello my name is Rose Shaw, and you are?" He looked at me amused but played along.

I asked him where he would travel to if he had the chance. He said Egypt, telling me his interest in the Egyptian culture and mythology.

He asked me the same question but halfway through the teacher said to switch. I smiled at him but he kept his seat and told the person to his right to move around him.

He gestured for me to continue, and I did.

We talked and talked. When the bell rang we were both surprised to see that we talked the whole period.

We packed up and he began to walk to the door. I was waiting for Vee and when he realized he turned back and stood beside me. I couldn't help the butterflies that took a home in my tummy.

I smiled at him and then turned my back to face Vee with the biggest grin on my face. She took one glance at me and started to laugh hysterically.

Shane had the cutest confused look on his face. I could help but laugh at how adorable he looked.

It was time to lunch and Shane was taking us to the cafeteria. Vee and him were making small talk, and I was glad that my best friend was getting along with my... new friend, I guess.

When we reached the doors to the cafeteria, he said "well here it is ladies."

I was confused, "aren't you going to eat too?"

He reached into his pocket and grabbed a pack of cigarettes. "Yeah, but I need a smoke first" he replied.

I crinkled my nose up, he smokes?

He tapped the tip of my nose with his finger, "want to keep me company?" He asked.

I looked at Vee who was nodding her head, but said "I don't want to leave Vee all alone."

"Oh-", Vee cut him off saying "I'm good, I'll order our food in the meantime, you won't be that long."

Look at my best friend, always putting me before her.

I handed her a 20 dollar bill, "okay but I'm paying" I bargained.

She didn't even hesitate to grab the bill from my hand. Shane grabbed my empty hand and lead me to a door, I looked back at Vee, shaking my head, amused.