Chapter 8

As we pushed through the door, I noticed more stares than usual, but not at us, our hands.

It was then that I realized that Shane's big warm hand was still holding onto mine. I've never held hands with a guy before.

I mean there was Timothy Green in kindergarten, but that was it.

I blushed and tried to pull my hand away causing Shane to look down at me. My gosh he was tall. He quirked a questioning brow.

"People are starring" I whispered. His head popped up and looked around, well more like glared.

He let go of my hand and instead of feeling relief, I felt a wave of disappointment come over me.

But it didn't last long, because he wrapped an arm around me, pulling me into his side.

My heated cheeks couldn't have gotten more redder than at this moment, that is until he lowered his head and whispered in my ear "let them stare."

I pushed my face into his side, trying to hide my face from onlookers.

We kept walking until we reached a tree, not too far from school, but not quite on school property either.

It was a nice spot.

It was then that I noticed the three people who were already bracing on the tree or sitting on the grass.

Two were guys, one with snake bites and the other with an eyebrow piercing. The girl was laying on her stomach, twirling a piece of grass.

They looked up as we approached.

Shane did the thing where he nods his head in acknowledgement.

"Who's the chick?" Eyebrow guy asked with a quick glance my way.

Shane held me at arms length, so that they see me properly since I was burrowed into his side.

"This is Rose Shaw. She and her best friend Veronica are the new students" he explained.

"Okay... but why is she here?" This time it was snake bites who asked.

I felt a little uncomfortable because I had a feeling I wasn't welcomed, by him at least.

"Im...um..." I didn't know what to say.

Shane came to my rescue and answered with a glare "because she's my new friend."

They all looked stunned for a second and then snake bites burst out laughing. I was startled and a little confused.

"Friends? Yeah right, is this your new conquest. I bet you just wanna try the new girl first, am I right? A fresh taste?"

Shane looked ready to punch him.