4

"Hazel." I jumped at his deep voice, making me shoot my eyes open and flinch a little bit. My eyes opened to Strange squatting down on my bed, trying to wake me up "it's time for training, you're gonna be late"

"Oh- right- erm, sorry. I-I won't take too long I'm sorry" I started, a flush showing up on my cheeks as I jumped out of bed. After he left the room, I got up to get dressed.

"How do you even do this thing?" I tilted my head cluelessly, looking down at the robes. After a long while of trying to figure it out, I finally got to an acceptable state and rushed outside

Third person POV

Hazel rushed to training grounds, her black hair flowing behind her. She inserted herself into the class, gulping for air.

"So I see you've decided to keep her" Wong started as they observed her "how old is she? She looks very young."

"I don't know." He simply shrugged and put his hands behind his back

"Instead of sending her home, you let her stay. Why?" He inquired as he fixed the relics in the racks and boxes

"Because she needed our help. No fluffy things, she's just an ordinary student from here on." Stephen said firmly, giving him a stern look as they continued to watch the class

"It's a little bit difficult to think of her as ordinary, don't you think?" He let out a small laugh "firstly, she's very young. Next, she looks very lost"

They watched her as she tried to look like she knew what she was doing, sneaking some glances at her fellow students and jumping a little bit or making faces when the class would make noises.

"Do you think she'll catch up?" Wong inquired, turning his head to Stephen, who ignored his question and stepped into the class.

"Visualise your location. Remember every detail vividly; think of the smell, the streets- focus" he hinted, making sure he's heard from the back.

Hazel scrunched up her eyebrows and took a deep breath, only tiny sparks of gold appeared in front of her.
"Class dismissed." Stephen hummed "don't forget to do your reading and meditate."

Hazel sighed in frustration, scratching her head and fumbling with her sling ring. She watched nervously, with doe like eyes as Stephen slowly approached her alongside Wong.

"What's wrong?" Wong inquired "maybe she's a little too young"

"Bullshit" Strange muttered "I was doing exactly the same as her the moment I started." A look of realisation flooded all over his face "do you think we should do...the thing?"

Hazel narrowed her eyes between them and proceeded to slowly back away, walking back her room.

"Honestly?" Wong tilted his head, scrunching up his face. Without hesitation, Strange drew a circle in front of him, leading to Mount Everest.

"Hey, kid!" Strange yelled "where do you think you're going? Come here"

Hazel let out a defeated sigh and slowly walked to him. She hesitantly walked to the hole in front of her, feeling the intense cold of the environment, crossing her arms and shivering.

"Woah- is this?-"

"Mount Everest." Stephen nodded. Hazel explored the place with her eyes, goosebumps traveling around her skin and her teeth chattering "If you can't already tell, it's incredibly cold (well, that's an understatement). This place is called the death zone."

"T-he death zone?" Hazel breathed "o-oh no! Is this the place where you bring people to die if they're not good enough?! A-are you gonna kill me here?"

"No!" Stephen scratched his head in irritation, making her jump "it takes about 30 minutes for a human to die" he looked at her up and down, then walked to the circle "for you, you have 8 minutes."

"Wait no no no no!" Hazel cried as she tried to run after him "great." She sighed, staring at the icy mountain in front of her.

*

"I...was gonna say no" Wong sighed as Strange stepped out of the circle "you should've waited for me to finish"

"What's done is done" he brushed off some snow off of his shoulder "she'll be able to make it."

8 minutes later

"Strange..." Wong muttered, panicky

"Wait." He held out his hand in anticipation

*

"Ugh, never mind!" Hazel kicked blankets of snow away from her, as she tried to make herself an igloo to live inside of "I guess I'll have to go back the stupid, magical, way."

She focused hard, lines appearing on her forehead. Ignoring the cold and taking a very deep breath, she squinted her eyes and proceeded to make circles.

A gold spark lit, giving her a glimmer of hope. She smiled, and got even more determined to make it out. Finally, after what felt like years, the monastery appeared in front of her.

Strange let out a relieved sigh as Wong immediately rushed to her aid, her body weak and shivering.

"S-seriously?!" She cried, on the floor

"Now that you've learned, you have to read. Sanskrit: you have to learn it. After today, you learn how to combat." He explained firmly "that was good."

"Let her rest, Strange." Wong said gently as he helped her stand up "don't worry, Sanskrit isn't so hard. Would you like me to teach you?"

"Yeah. Yeah, okay" a smile plastered on her face, her skin glowing "thank you-thank you for that."

"How old are you, kid?" Stephen asked

"I-I'm 15"

"Hm." He hummed and cocked a brow "rest"