14

"Gyor." Strange greeted, once again with his stiff stance. He was doing rather well for someone who's been incarcerated for months, it was like he just got inside.

"Strange." He stood up, crossing his arms "they came after her, didn't they? I told you so. I warned you, but-"

"This isn't the time for your I told you so's, Gyor. I need you to tell me now. Tell me what it is."

"Or what?"

"I took an oath as a doctor, to not take any lives." He started "but technically, I'm not a doctor anymore. Keep that in mind."

"Aw, has Strange turned sentimental?" He pouted mockingly "Okay, Okay, Fine. I'll maybe give you one hint, just cause it's fun."

"Can you stop?!" He roared

"No." He sang out, a power tripping smile on his face "funny, I thought you've finished the book of Cagliostro. You know, with the time stone?"

"I thought it would be smart not to read it, since, well, the last time I did, I corrupted the order of nature" he thought out loud "so you're telling whatever it is, it's in there?"

Gyor refused to respond, only settling down and turning away as he closed his eyes to sleep. With an annoyed sigh, Strange left and rushed to the library.

* * * *

"Book of Cagliostro..." he muttered as he searched for it in the library, freeing it from its chains and opening it up "I stopped at the eye of Agamotto. Not to boost my ego, but I think we should start there since I'd remember if I had read it."

The two propped themselves down beside each other, their elbows resting on the table and the room dimly lit.

"Normally, I'd object, but now isn't the the time." Wong frowned, then immediately flipped through the pages, as they skimmed their eyes through the book, trying to look for something important

"The orb of Agamotto, blah blah blah, nope." He impatiently flipped through it one by one, his eyebrows furrowing "Ebony blade, blah blah nope"

"Strange" Wong called "we should check the staff of Agamotto. It's the one he's been trying to steal this whole time. Don't you think we should try it?"

"Worth a shot" he pouted, and flipped through the pages "The staff of Agamotto was a relic created by Agamotto himself. Further enhances power, fights dark magic, blah blah blah blah. Nope."

Strange rubbed his temples in frustration while Wong traced his finger along the lines, determined. His eyes grew wide, speechless, he tapped on his shoulder.

"Strange."

"What?" He asked, his eyes soon widening at the sight. At the bottom right corner of the staff's chapter, was a drawing. A drawing of a girl, wearing dark green and golden robes, with fair skin and black hair; if it isn't enough, the resemblance between Hazel and the girl was uncanny. "Well I'll be damned."

He shut the book tight, and got up to leave, Wong trailing behind him. He got to the New York Sanctum, shutting the door behind him.

"Hazel!" Strange called "come here, I have something to show you!" He checked inside her room and found nobody, looking for her at the remainder of the place.

"Yeah?" She asked, turning back to them as she investigated the relics at the exhibition. Goosebumps formed around the two men's skin as they stared at her, wearing the green robes, standing in a pose just like the picture "what?"

"Why aren't you in bed?" Strange blurted, crossing his arms

"Oh." She hummed "I saw that you were gone so I decided to watch over the sanctum while you weren't here. So what's up?"

The two nodded at each other, Wong retrieving the staff in the glass box that was sealed with a lock, unlike the others. The staff was made out of fine wood, but still bumpy. At the top, was a green stone sitting, perfectly placed and seemed to defy the laws of gravity.

Wong handed it to Strange, who flickered his eyes between the staff and her repeatedly, then finally spoke up.

"Hold the staff." He commanded, Hazel giving him a look

"Uh...no? Why?" She squinted her eyes and stepped back "is this another gag? Are you trying to do something silly to me again?"

"No. Just hold it, now." He said firmly, making Hazel sigh and step to him slowly.

She hesitantly took the staff from his hands, grasping it, its wood warm and welcoming, a very slight breeze brushing her face. The two stepped back in shock as they watched her eyes glow completely green, and the rock shone brightly.

"What? So? It's a glow stick, or something?" She asked, completely and utterly clueless "I don't get it. Why are you guys looking at me like that?"

"It's yours." Was all Strange was able to say, his mouth agape.

"Uh...no?" She became even more confused and put it down "it's not mine, why- what? Are you giving it to me or something? This is messing with me."

"What-" strange breathed, a side of his lips curling up in amusement. He stammered as he opened the book and showed her the page

Hazel was mind blown; her eyes were as wide as they could be, and her heart stopped pounding. How could she be written on there? How could she own the staff?

"Nah, no. It's probably just a coincidence." She waved off dismissively, then handed Strange the staff, which he didn't take.

"Psh, coincidence." He scoffed, smiling "the staff. It's yours, Hazel, this is a good thing! You own the staff of Agamotto- he passed it down to you, it's on the book, that's you!" He explained excitedly, pointing furiously to the picture "See, kid? You're meant to stay with us."

"Who would've thought, that after all this time, the owner of staff has been right under our noses" Wong smiled "and this, this is why I don't believe in accidents."