17

"You know," Hazel started as she jogged down the stairs, watching Stephen fix himself a sandwich by the table "It would be nice to have some company, don't you think? Like, someone else?"

"What?" He scrunched his face up and bit the sandwich in his hand "what, you're getting tired of my face?"

"No, I dunno, I just thought about it when Wong dropped by" she explained and got a slice of bread for herself "It's not that I'm tired of you, it's just that it would be nice if there was a third head in here"

"What, like your boyfriend?" He said through mouthfuls, rolling his eyes "Yeah you should invite him here, it would be fun"

"Ok, first of all, I don't have a boyfriend, I don't even know anyone, and next, what's your deal?"

"Uh, yeah you do" He raised his eyebrow at her "Don't try to lie to me, you just talked about him before and you were all giddy"

"I'm not lying, I don't have a boyfriend! I literally just spoke to him and never saw him again!" She frowned at her own words, thinking about Spider-Man who she never saw again "You know, you're being so annoying about guys"

"You're being annoying about guys" he sneered, pointing a finger at her "you shouldn't bother, you know why? Boys are just gonna end up breaking your heart, that's why."

"Aren't you a boy" she said lazily, watching Stephen turn around and start to think of something to say

"W-well, that's different." He stammered, running a hand through his hair uncomfortably "I'm not a teenage boy with raging hormones, ready to pounce on you like some kind of animal"

"Oh lordy, the mighty sorcerer supreme has trained me to go against any enemy, but a hormonal young man!" She cried, throwing a paper ball at him that hit his face "it's not like I have access to 'em. Forget it."

She stood up and walked over to the staff, inching closer to it and investigating it. Her eyes scanned the item, her eyebrows furrowing at it, and her lips pouting slightly

"Weird..." she muttered, opening up the shelf and holding the staff in her hand, feeling the wood against her skin

"What's weird?" He inquired, slowly stepping to her in concern

"I...dunno. It's just weird" Hazel looked up at him and gave him a look, then put it back inside of the shelf, locking it tight "do you think we can ask Gyor some stuff? Maybe he knows something about the staff or whatever"

"Whatever he knows, we do too" he held up the book of cagliostro "we're not gonna deal with that nut job anymore, especially you."

"Okay, Okay, fine" She put her hands to the side of her face, showing her palms, knowing that look. It didn't take her a while to realise that the look he gave and the tone of his voice meant he was getting angry "just thought it was weird...but never mind, it's no big deal"

"Yeah, and listen," he leaned in closer and pointed a finger at her, their faces inching and his eyes forcing contact to hers "you won't be speaking to him, looking at him, or even be in the same floor as him. You want the last time to happen again?"

Hazel gave him a bad look, her eyes gluing to the floor while her arms slowly crossed on top of one another.

"Hey, answer me!"

"No!" She rolled her eyes and shook her head "it was just a suggestion, and plus, it's not like it's actually gonna happen again"

"You wanna bet?" He taunted "what if you didn't live that time? Or what if the next time it happens I'm not there?"

"Okay, okay, it was just a suggestion! It's not like I'm actually gonna run after him and barge into his cell!" She huffed in annoyance "You're kind of annoying sometimes"

Strange squinted his eyes at this; she just didn't get it. He's seen the man fight when he was at the monastery, and he's not a joke. Yes, Hazel is a great sorcerer, but anything can happen back there. It's not that she isn't ready, but he isn't.

"Yeah, yeah, just steer clear of the man." He waved her off, knowing she was going to be angry at him.

He knew how it all worked: he was gonna say something 'annoying', and she's gonna be all angry at him. He knew that she was gonna ignore him, and even go as far as not touch him or use the same knife as him. Normally, people would get annoyed, but despite the slight pain, he actually found it quite amusing and adorable. He didn't know what has gotten into him; back at the hospital and monastery, no one dared to act this way. For some reason, Hazel got to push his buttons; for some reason, she was (the only one) able to do and say things that others couldn't.

Hazel, on the other hand, acted the way Strange has expected her to: she locked her bedroom door and only went out when she was sure he wasn't there. She always found it annoying how he was so protective and overreacting towards her or things, especially because he can find anything out. However, she found it quite comforting; she never had a dad, and she felt like he was better than that, like he had her back, always.