Chapter 21

The sun was at its peak and the sky was beautiful painted with blue and white from the clouds. The atmosphere was calm and beautiful. A garden of flowers gave the ambiance a resplendent look and the flowers released glorious scent into the air. Here and there little breezes crept over the flowers, making them shake excitedly.

A little girl; just about five years, ran through the garden of flowers barefooted, the wind raising her yellow floral dress as she ran, a huge smile formed across her lips as she played hide and seek with the birds of the air.  She ran to where a small lake was and stood at the edge of the lake. It was clear to the bottom and bright with the efflorescence of tropical weed and coral. The rays of the sun created a mix of orange, blue, gold and crimson on the water. A school of tiny, glittering fish flicked hither and thither. She inspected the water a little more and then plunged in scattering the arranged movements of the fish in the water. She swam like the fishes, diving in and out of the warm water.

“Irene, Irene.” The silvery voice of a young woman called the young girl.

She brought her head out, holding her nose and a golden light danced and shattered just over her face.

“Irene!” The woman who was now closer to the lake called out again.

“Mama, I'm here.” She screamed to get the attention of her mother. She pulled herself out of the water, her yellow dress glued to her body, water dripped from her hair and body. Her dress stuck in between her legs  as she ran to meet her mother who stood with her hands akimbo and her face stern. Her mother was wearing  a white loose gown and her brown hair flowed down to her back and she had the same sapphire eye colour with her daughter, she had a straight and pointed nose and a full lips, her eyebrows were full and furrowed as she looked at her daughter. She was like the older version of her daughter.

“What are you doing here, Irene?” She asked taking her daughter's hands into hers.

“Mama, this place is awesome.” The young girl gushed.

“I asked what you are doing here daughter, you should not be here.” Her mom said worriedly.

“Why? Why can't I come here Mama?” She looked up at her mother, biting her bottom lip.

“Because it's not your time.”

“But I love this place, it's beautiful. Everything is peaceful, there are no worries here.” She released her hands from her mom's. She turned around making her wet yellow dress make a little circular motion and spread her hands open like she was about to fly away like the birds.

“Where is the jewel we left in your care?” Her mom brought her back from the fantasy she was already creating in her head.

“I left it.” She said coldly.

“Where?”

“Back there.” She pointed her finger to where she had come from.

“Why?”

“It was becoming too heavy to carry mama, so I left it.” She had her head bent and was fidgeting with her hands.

“For who?”

“Anyone that finds it.” She shrugged.

“But you knew it has always been heavy.”

“It was heavier now.”

“Oh child,” The woman placed her hands across her daughter's shoulder, drawing her closer to her side. “You loved this jewel so much and you've always wanted to have it. Why then did you leave it when a little problem came in? Don't you love it anymore?”

“I still love it mama.”

“So why would you leave it for anyone to take it? Do you think they would treat it the way it should be treated? Remember it is a precious jewel.”

“Mama, I'm too young to carry it. It's too heavy for me.” She complained.

“So why didn't you ask someone to assist you?”

“There was no one mama. I was all alone.”

“The moon goddess sent an helper for you, where is he?”

“I never met him.”

The woman raised her daughter's chin up and look her in the eyes.

“You never met him?” She asked her daughter who was finding it hard to look into her mother's eyes.

The girl shook her head and walked a little further from her mother angrily.

“Mama, you don't know what has been happening over there.” She said without looking back, her voice sounding croaky. She looked up, so she could fight back the tears that were threatening to roll down her eyes.

“I see everything that's happening, child.” The woman said with pity in her eyes.

“You've been here enjoying and have been there trying to drag what you and Papa left me. It was not easy for me, I tried to be strong.”

“From where did you adopt this new training?”

The woman walked up to her daughter and turned her around to face her. She bent down; so she was eye level with her daughter. Her daughter looked away and pouted like a spoilt child.

“Your father and I didn't train you to give up so easily. Remember you have been prepared for this. Do you think we are happy to know you left the jewel we left in your care? You left it there and came here to do what? Is this how you plan on making your father and I happy?”

“But I tried Mama, I tried.” She whispered

“Now I want you to do something for me child, I want you to go back and pick the jewel up. Pick it up and take care of it as a real jewel.”

“I can't lift it.” She replied her mom gratingly.

“Ask for help.” The woman said calmly.

The young girl turned her back on her mother and folded her arms.

“I'm not going back there mama, I'm not.” She said sternly and ran away from her mother before she could rebuke her.

*                      *                      *                     *
Thanks for reading
Vote,
Comment,
Share.