four//colby

I kept my hand wrapped around Sam's thin waist. After Brennon had showed up, I couldn't not feel a strong urge to protect the small boy currently in my arms.

We were walking to my super-duper ultra-secret hideout. It was an old, abandoned jewelry factory, which had aided my strong interest in exploring abandoned and run-down places. Here in Kansas, there is a plethora of places perfect for exploring.

"I had found this place when I was thirteen," I told Sam. He turned his head up to look at me with those big blue eyes of his. He looked so innocent, so pure, looking up at me with wonder, listening so intently to what I have to say.

"I had found it while hiking out in the woods, with my dog, cannonball," I said, causing Sam to laugh.

"You named your dog Cannonball?"

"I was ten, I was thinking,' hmm, what's the edgiest dog name? Cannonball,'" I retold.

Sam giggled and looked back up at me while we we took a turn into the path that took us towards the factory. "Anyway, I explored this place, and I come here whenever I need to escape the daily struggles of life. I want to share it with you," I finish, and turn into the factory. Sam hesitates, and hold out my hand.

He tenderly takes my hand and I interlock my fingers. His hands are soft, and smaller than mine. It's almost as if they fit perfectly in mine. I jump up onto a ledge and pull Sam up with me, lifting him up to the roof and pulling myself up afterwards.

"Walking on the roof,"I say with caution,"Always step where there's a line. That's where the supports are, because it's rusted and deteriorated up here and might cave in and hurt you." Sam nods and follows me towards a concrete patch where I take a seat and pat the one next to me.

"This,"I start, extending my arms for emphasis,"Is my super-duper ultra-secret hideout. It's my home away from home."

"I want to get to kn-know you better," Sam says, turning towards me, sitting cross-legged across me.

"What do you want to know?"

"What's-wha-what's your favorite color? Mine's white, or... pink," He says, bashfully playing with the hem of his maroon sweater.

I smile, this boy is so precious. "My favorite color is either black or blue. They're the edgiest colors," I respond. Sam giggles and asks the second question,"What music do you listen to?"

"Mostly the more what you'd call 'emo bands'. Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, to name a few. I also like listening to classic rock, like Journey or Kansas or Queen. I also listen to Nirvana," I say, motioning to my black Nirvana shirt. "What about you? What do you listen to?"

"Well, I like the bands you like for different reasons. I like the sadder, more mellow songs that they've made, like What a Catch, Donnie, and I also listen to Twenty One Pilots, but like I said, the so called 'sadder songs'," He explains.

"Sam, you didn't stutter," I exclaim, nudging his shoulder.

"I don't stutter as often with people that i feel comfortable around."

I pull out my phone and pull up the playlist of sadder songs made by the bands I listed before. I leave my phone out in between us so we can both listen to the songs. Sam shoots me a small smile and scoots closer to me so that our shoulders are almost touching. "Do you want to go back down," I ask, uncertain to if he wants to stay here.

"No, I'd just l-like to stay here.. and.. talk."

And so we did. We didn't talk of anything in specific. We talked about ourselves. Our interests, our pet peeves, our hobbies, random childhood memories.

We talked about our fears, our insecurities, current controversial topics, ideas, inspirations.

Anything and everything, we talked well into the night. I said goodbye to sam once we had reached the main road and we walked out separate ways home.

/////

"Cole, where were you," My mom asks when I walk into the door.

"There was a new kid in school, his name was Sam, and I showed him my super-duper ultra-secret hideout, and we got to know each other. He's my friend," I finished, reliving the memories I spent with the boy.

"Well, I'll forgive it since you found another friend since Brennon," My mom says, am waving her hand as if dismissing his name. "Is he cute," She asks, wiggling her eyebrows.

I laugh,"Yeah, mom. He's really cute."

"That's good that you let him be your friend since he's new, it's a win win; now eat your now cold dinner and sleep it's a school night,"My mom says, smacking my shoulder and lightly pushing me into the dining room.

/////

Colby's mom is cool.

peace out my dudes