2

Ten hours into our never ending flight, I had napped, watched a movie, read, and stared out the window. The only person that talked to me was the one flight attendant that asked what I wanted to eat and drink. The guards slept in shifts; Alexei and the one that offered me tissue, Dominic I had learned, slept first. Vlad and Anatoly went when the other two woke up. For how traditional their names were, I expected heavy accents or little English, but all four were surprisingly easy to understand. 

I sighed and turned my attention to Alexei. I wasn't sure if it was wise to trust him or not. I didn't have anything to hide and didn't plan on keeping secrets from anyone. That just wasn't me. I was honest to a fault.

"Alexei?" I asked.

His bright blue eyes instantly jumped to attention.

"Can you tell me what the prince is like?"

He looked surprised by my question. Most girls probably wouldn't have cared what he was like. They would have either been ecstatic to marry a royal or they would have been terrified and silent.

"He's a better man than most give him credit for."

Odd answer.

"The prince is more reclusive than the rest of his siblings. He doesn't care to be directly in the public eye therefore there is much speculation as to who he truly is," he elaborated.

I nodded absently. "It sounds like you know him really well."

"We grew up together. My family has worked for his since our great great grandparents were around."

"So what does he think of this?" I asked.

"Marriage?"

"Well, yeah. I mean, he didn't even come to get me himself. I think that speaks volumes for how he feels about this."

Alexei shrugged. It was the last movement I expected to see from him. It seemed so casual from someone that looked pretty wound up.

"I would get used to it now. I sincerely doubt you'll see much of him."

I let a frown fall on my face. If I was going to be stuck in a marriage to someone I didn't love or even know then the least he could do was make an effort. I was fulfilling my civic duty. Couldn't he at least make an effort to be friends? Hell I wasn't asking for love. I had seen what love did to my mother. The most I wanted was someone to talk to and get along with.

I crossed my arms over my chest and gazed out the window again, sufficiently ending the conversation. I regretted even asking. All Alexei's answer did was make me regret my decision to go quietly. Had I protested more maybe they would have said forget it. Doubtful, but I would have felt better.

"Ma'am?" Dominic asked.

I turned my head to meet his dark, nearly black eyes. I couldn't deny the fact that Dominic was handsome. Hell, I guess they all were in their own ways, but Dominic had that tall, dark, and handsome thing going for him.

"Would you like to play?" He asked as he held a deck of cards. His accent was the heaviest-laced Russian out of the four though he was still easily understood.

I was sure a what-the-fuck-do-you-think look was plastered on my face though he didn't seem to be affected.

"No," I said quietly and turned back to the window.

I sighed and turned back to him. "I'm sorry. That was rude. I'm just . . . Not in the mood."

"Here," he said as he slid the deck across the small table to me. "Solitaire might take your mind off it."

I offered a weak smile and took the deck. He was nice enough to make the effort. The least I could do was reciprocate.

After several rounds of solitaire, I realized Dominic was right. It did take my mind off the impending marriage which helped tremendously even if it was only for a couple moments.

I napped again and watched another movie. The plane only landed once to switch pilots and gas up then we were back in the air. I had no idea the flight to Russia was going to take so long. I knew it was far, but damn.

After more than a full day of traveling, the pilot finally announced we would be starting our descent. I was relieved to be done traveling, but I was terrified of what it meant.

"You should go change," Alexei suggested.

"Into what?"

"There is an outfit laid out for you."

He motioned towards the closed door at the back of the plane. I was sure whatever they had laid out was going to be modest, becoming of a future duchess, which I was thankful for. However, it was just one more indication that everything I brought with me wasn't good enough. The way I dressed before, the way I was raised, who I was at my core, none of it was good enough for the royals and it would all have to change. That left a bitter taste.

I stepped into the bedroom and closed the door behind me. There wasn't much room for anything aside from the massive bed and maybe a person or two. I suppose much room wasn't needed for a plane though.

The dress was dusty pink, almost a nude color with three-quarter sleeves, a bateau neck, and a hemline that touched my knees.

Conservative, sophisticated, and the exact opposite of me.

A knock on the door pulled my attention. Alexei entered the bedroom and gave me the once over.

"Very nice. After we land, we have a half hour drive ahead of us. The prince will meet us at the castle."

I nodded in acceptance. "When am I supposed to marry him?"

"The ceremony is set for tomorrow. You will have dinner with the royal family tonight and a gown fitting directly after."

I thought I would feel panicked or overwhelmed, but there was a sense of peace that washed over me. Calm, cold acceptance of the situation was the only option I had. It wasn't what I wanted in life, but it was my duty. I wasn't blind. I knew why they chose common girls for female royalty; it was in hopes of keeping our male-dominate society ruled by males. Common girls with no political background made excellent mouthpieces. Who was I to comment on the war against rouges? I had no experience with military strategy. I wasn't educated in diplomacy. They correctly assumed they could shove whatever cover story down my throat and I would regurgitate it to the world with an innocent smile. There was a reason Edric and his family had been in power since the beginning; they were good at leading. I had no business interjecting my beliefs and I was fine with that. I had no intention of rocking the political boat.

"The prince understands your life is changing dramatically. He expects your emotional state," Alexei informed me.

"I'm not emotional."

Only a lift of his eyebrow questioned me.

"Girls like me are raised knowing it could happen. I'm not stupid, Alexei. I know what I'm being used for."

"Yes, well, Edric is understanding of your situation regardless."

I nodded absently. I didn't care if he was understanding or not. I didn't feel anything. Other girls would have felt something. Not me. As far as I was concerned, it was a relief to be out of that godforsaken house. I didn't want to leave my mother, but I couldn't live based on protecting her from someone she refused to leave.