chapter four

THE NEXT MORNING was tense, you could say

       THE NEXT MORNING was tense, you could say. Isaac came in to ‘wake me up’ and had my book bag and a separate bag with some of my things. He said Derek went and got some things the previous night.

I was glad to see my lavender bunny in my bag. I tucked him under my blanket, out of sight.

I sighed softly as I exited my new bedroom, dressed in a pair of skinny jeans and a random green long-sleeved shirt Derek had apparently grabbed. Over top I had my regular brown jacket that had dried over night. My shoes, however, weren't quite as lucky. They squished a but when I walked.

As soon as I entered the kitchen, both boys turned to stare at me. Isaac flashed a quick and half-assed smile, but I could really tell what kind of look Derek was giving me. I pretended I didn't notice him inspecting my healing black eye.

"Which cabinet has cups in it?" I asked quietly, playing with my dark blonde pony tail. Derek silently opened a cabinet and took out a glass, handing it out towards me. I purposely grabbed it so that I wouldn't have to touch his hand.

I slipped past him and filled my cup in the sink drinking it as I glanced at the time on the stove. We had a few minutes before we had to leave.

"Do you want some cereal?" Derek asked stiffly. I shook my head wordlessly. He sighed and nodded, walking away.

"Guess we're leaving early," Isaac muttered as he hopped down from his stool and followed after Derek. I set my glass on the counter and followed the duo.

I'd never admit it to his face, but Derek's car was the nicest one I'd ever been in. I admired it silently from the backseat, allowing Isaac to sit shotgun. I simply slumped against the door and stared out the window. I knew Derek was glanced back at me periodically through the rearview mirror, but I ignored it.

The entire ride was silent, not even the radio playing. Finally we got to the highschool and Isaac hopped out, barely thanking Derek for the ride. Just as I was going to reach for the handle, I heard the doors lock. I turned to Derek with a blank expression.

He sighed deeply as he turned to face me, "Listen, I was a bit harsh last night. I don't want us to have problems if Isaac's in my pack."

I didn't respond, blankly staring at him. I could tell it was annoying him, but I didn't have anything to say. He was honest with me last night and I agreed with every word he spoke.

That was the end of our one-sided conversation before he unlocked the doors and I exited. I adjusted my bag and quickened my pace towards the lacrosse field. I planned on skipping first period to watch Isaac. I was worried he'd end up loosing control out there.

"Hey!"

I jumped when  an arm slung around my shoulders, nearly going into cardiac arrest. I huffed when  I saw who it was, pushing his chest playfully.