chapter eighteen

STANDING IN THE hospital with Scott, Isaac, and Melissa, my arms were crossed and my lips were turned downwards

          STANDING IN THE hospital with Scott, Isaac, and Melissa, my arms were crossed and my lips were turned downwards. We had came here upon Melissa's request because apparently something weird was going on with Jackson. He didn't quite look as dead as we once thought, his body cacooned in the all too familiar gel-like kanima venom. We were clueless on what the hell was going on with him.

"Is it bad?" Melissa asked anxiously, turning to us, mainly Scott, for advice.

"It doesn't look good," Scott said what we were all thinking. All of a sudden Jackson's eyes opened to reveal the reptilian ones.

"Whoa," Isaac blurted out, his arm extending in front of me as he made a face I would've laughed at in any other situation.

"Whoa. Mom, could you zip it up, please?" Scott asked apprehensively.

"Okay. Okay, okay. Okay, here we go," Melissa nodded, grasping the zipper and beginning to pull it up. Of course the fucking thing got stuck.

"Mom, zip," Scott wasn't making the situation any better.

"Don't you think she's fucking trying?" I asked with raised brows, watching as Melissa finally got it up.

About fifteen minutes later we were smuggling Jackson's not dead body out of the hospital to take to Derek and Peter. Scott and Isaac were carrying him in the bag while I led the way on my crutch, making sure we didn't run into anybody. We'd made it out to the parking lot when dumb and dumber started dropping him, conveniently at the same time that a car showed up. I cursed under my breath when Chris Argent hopped out, looking nearly as terrifying as his deceased wife. I huffed loudly, running one of my bandaged hands messily through my hair.

"You're alone," Scott noted as Isaac tugged me behind them.

"More than you know," Argent spoke ominously.

"What do you want?" Scott demanded.

"We don't have much in common, Scott. But at the moment, we have a common enemy," Once again he just had to beat around the bush instead of being straight up with us.

"That's why I'm trying to get him out of here," Scott narrowed his eyes.

"I didn't mean Jackson," he replied cryptically.

"Can you just say what the hell you mean? You might as well be talking in German at this point," I said with a raise of my brow. Isaac nudged me, shooting me a look. It worked, however, and Chris elaborated.

"Gerard has twisted his way into Allison's head, the same way he did with Kate. And I'm losing her. And I know you're losing her too," the name Kate rang a bell and I could remember hearing about her on the news. She was the one who burned down the Hale house and killed Derek's family. I frowned slightly at the realization, sympathy for Derek momentarily flooding over me.