chapter seven

I WAS HALF asleep still as I sat on the ledge down in the train station

I WAS HALF asleep still as I sat on the ledge down in the train station. My forehead was leaned against the railing in front of me, a blanket wrapped around my shoulders. Boyd stood near me, watching as Derek trained with Erica and Isaac.

Isaac being thrown across the room again made me open my eyes, sighing.

"Does anyone wanna try not being completely predictable?" Derek asked cockily. I made eye contact with Erica and smiled at her, encouraging her to try again.

Apparently she misinterpreted my look, because next thing I knew she was kissing him. I cringed when he threw her off of him, glaring down at her.

"That's the last time you do that," he said firmly as he pointed a finger at her.

"Why? Because I'm a beta?" Erica glared right back. No, because you're sixteen and underage, I thought to myself, but I was too tired to even think about arguing at the moment.

"No, because I have someone else in mind for you," Derek said mischievously. I couldn't surpress my eyeroll at whatever dumb plan he'd constructed.

"Are we done?" Isaac asked from the floor, "I've got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal."

"Come here," I watched as Derek walked over and held out a hand. When Isaac took it, Derek broke it. I cringed at the snapping noise, "A hundred and one. You think I'm teaching you how to fight? Huh? Look at me! I'm teaching you how to survive!"

I gazed unamused at his dramatic words. Isaac seemed to think it was a bit of a stretch as well.

"If they wanted us dead why aren't they coming for us now? What are they waiting for?" He asked. I assumed he was referring to the hunters—the Argents.

"I don't know," Derek said, "But they're planning something. And you, especially, know that's not our only problem."

I zoned out for a split moment as I thought back to the sound of my father screaming for help as an unknown creature tore him to part. I focused again when Derek continued talking.

"Whatever that thing is that killed Julia and Isaac's father, I think it killed someone else last night. Until I find out what it is, you all need to learn everything that I know. As fast as I can teach you," Derek finished off.

I huffed as I stood up, making my way up to the loft, "Have fun kids."

I walked myself all the way to my bedroom where I dropped off my blanket. I shrugged out of my clothes and changed into a pair of jeans and a tank top tucked into them, throwing on a flannel over top. I tossed my hair up into a ponytail so I didn't have to do much to it, and downed an ibuprofen.

Once I was ready I slipped on a pair of sunglasses and grabbed a tissue to stick in my back pocket. It was easy to slip out of the loft due to everybody being down training. I'm pretty sure Boyd noticed, but didn't say anything either way.